Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Major Player

First pro light?

Hello everyone,
I won $250.00 yesterday! I think it would be wise if I spent the money on a good piece of gear, either a new mic or a light. Right now I light Home Depot style and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a Fresnal, maybe a 2k.

I do dramtic shorts, although this summer I will be doing a short documentary (mostly outside, though)

any adivce would be welcome.
Thanks.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you really need another (relatively) high powered light? It would not do you any good outside but here is a different suggestion.

One of the first lights I bought after work lights was the little Lowel pro light (250 watts). I have experimented endlessly with it and use it regularly.

If you want something to try out ideas with you are going to need a number of accessories such as stand, barnd doors, gel frame, softbox, snoot etc. The Pro Light with some of these accessories is still in your price range.

For example check out this kit: http://tinyurl.com/6ccv8
I would add the gel frame and a gel sampler to come to about $250 with shipping. Get an extra bulb with it too.

I added at $60 softbox off ebay to mine and use it mostly as a soft key for interviews or a harder/gelled light for background and back lighting. By the way, the light, barndoors, gel frame, softbox, and stand all fit in my tripod bag so it's always with me.

It's also somewhat focusable. It's very versatile and started me down the path of using finnese rather than brute force to light. I'm still not far down that path, however :)
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks!
I will definitely look into it.
I can probaly come up with a little more $ if need be.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management