Shooting student film in a church..Need your help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 13th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting student film in a church..Need your help!

Hi all-
I'm shooting my next 16mm film project in a church:

http://www.christpb.org/images/churc...0image%202.jpg

The problem is, my film school does not have an excess amount of lights for the project, and im very new to lighting... I believe all we have is a 3x650's, 1K broad and a 2K soft light. We also have flags, stands, etc. I need your help on how to go about this. There are 2 men in the scene, and obviously their location will depend on where the lights are placed (at least for the wide shots). Would it be safe to use any of the house lights? We have one day to shoot it in, and dont have time or money to setup special lights. I want the scene to be dark, but not so dark where you cant make out where you are. Please help me place the lights! Thanks.

BTW i'm using Kodak Vision2 7218 which i hear has good lattitude for dark scenes.
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #2
Major Player

You could definitely use the house lights, and use your lights for accent lighting.

Most church halls' over-head lighting are on dimmers. If this is the case with your church, you'd probably do best with house lights low, 1 650 as a key, 1 scrimmed 650 as a fill (1 stop or so under the key), and the last 650 as a hair light, or depending on the blocking, a separation light between the actors.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jesse- That's a good idea. Will i get an overall orangish tone to my film if i use the houselights?
Old March 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Major Player

7218 is tungsten balanced, so what you really need to worry about is daylight coming through a window and contaminating your colors (it can be timed out in post). The house lights are probably less than true 3200k... maybe 2700-3000? It shouldn't be too bad. 7277 (Vision 320T) is also a great stock, especially for shooting in mixed color temperatures.

It shouldn't be too hard to light your coverage, but the wide shots might be difficullt. Churches can be deceptively hard to light in. If there's a balcony toward the back of the church you might be ably to backlight from there (if your action is in the pews), though a 650 may not have the punch for that.
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Matt, would you recomend 7277 over the 7218? I have not ordered the film yet. Thanks!
Old March 13th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Wouldn't the stained glass of the windows remove the need to balance for daylight? I'm assuming, of course, that the windows are colored, but most churches I've seen are.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #7
Major Player

True, stained glass windows actually cut outdoor light a LOT. In fact with dark colored windows, I've seen a full size musco light inches from the glass and it barely had any effect inside.

Dan,
I haven't had the chance to shoot to use 7218 yet. With 16mm, grain can be a real issue, especially if you finish on film. (grain is about four times larger on 16 than 35) I shot a test comparing Vision2 200T 7217 (super fine grain) against Vision 320T 7277, and to our surprise the 77 had better grain! I'm not sure how 18 will look, but I do know that a higher ISO usually equates to larger grain. I know that a lot of shooters really like 18. It would be worth shooting a test but I know that in the student world, that's not usually affordable.
If you havn't already, you might check out Kodak's Color Negative Films and see if anything jumps out at you.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #8
Chimera Lighting

How are you doing?

If I can help let me know
r

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management