Help! Minimum lights to Buy for Interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help! Minimum lights to Buy for Interviews?

Hi all,
I'm about to make a Rostronics purchase for some Britex, lights primarily to be used for meetings going on between 3-4 people. The 2 meeting rooms will be either 12' x 12', or 12' x 16'.

My absolute top budget is $500 USF.

If I purchase Britex lighting what do I need as a minimum?

Also what exactly is the meaning of "focusable"?

I've gome through umpteen lighting posts here and couldn't get the meaning, and I've gone thru some stuff by Walter Graff - still no clear definition.

thanks,
earon
vancouver, bc
Earon Kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

"Focusable" means that the lamp's distance from it's reflector may be altered by moving it foward or backwards in it's mounting. This has the effect of widening or narrowing the beam.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you do buy please fill us in on both Rostronics and Britek experiences as I am also considering them. By the way I also found Britek here
http://www.saferseas.com/vsd/eye/1500W.html
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Greetings,

The aforementioned reseller (SaferSeas) has left quite a few people unhappy with their customer service. If you plan on buying, I would suggest using one of this sites sponsors - I use B&H and have never had an unhappy experience. If not, please do a considerable amount of research before spending your hard earned money.

-Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Tim Brown : Greetings,

The aforementioned reseller (SaferSeas) has left quite a few people unhappy with their customer service. If you plan on buying, I would suggest using one of this sites sponsors - I use B&H and have never had an unhappy experience. If not, please do a considerable amount of research before spending your hard earned money.

-Tim -->>>

Thanks guys. It was helpful. I'll buy from BH or Rostronics.
The guys at DVXUSER are all raving about the Briteks for the $$$.

OK - but what to buy? I'm thinking about 2 600 focusables with softboxes and a 200 focsuable with b-doors.

Or: 1 500/1000 with softbox. 1 200 focusable with b-doors and a reflector.

What do you guys think? Remember, it's for some meetings of 3-4 people and interviews with only one person on camera (similar to the one person commentaries in Mario van Peebles' "Badass" film).

Let me kniw what you think. When I try them out I'mm let you all know.

cheers,
earon
Earon Kavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #6
Major Player

FWIW I think if your using softboxes the ability to focus the light is not needed.I use the dualpower 500/1000 with softbox (32")
For interviews I think its great.It does have barn doors if you dont use the softbox for other lighting.For what you want to do, I would suggest 2 of the 500/1000's and either a 300/600 or a 200 or 250 This would be a good starter set. You could add additional lights to tune the hair light and/or backlight and/or background light.Tom at Rostronics seems fine to deal with.
Suggest you order the 8' HD stands
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:07 AM   #7
Chimera Lighting

Chimera 8000 kit and are you a student?

I have some thoughts but I would try to get something with a lightbank or Umbrella.

I have a student discount and if you want an 8000 kit I may be able to hook you up through a dealer for a little over 500 dollars

The 8000 has one light with bank, stand, grids, carrybag

Other than that I would get two tota's, stands and umbrellas and they you can get lightbanks later

Richard

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management