generator power for lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old April 28th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

generator power for lights

hi all I have a question on powering lights.

i dont know anything about gernorators except that you can get them in 1000, 2500 3000 watts ect.

I have lighting I need for a shoot in the fall and there is no power sourse nearby so I thought a genorator would do the job. and sudjestions on this?.

I have britek light some 250 watt lights up to 2000 watts not that i need all them att once but maby for one scene i will.

is genorator watts the same as light watts?

thanks
pete
Pete Mander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Some light manufacturers rate the light based NOT on power consumption but on the illumination.The Britek's are pretty close. A 1000w light would use about 1000Watts.Most generators have 15 amp breakers for each circuit which is just under 2000 watts,so watch what you plug in to each breaker outlet.I have used them many times.
A couple of things about them......
Some don't have very good voltage regulators and can cause fluctuation.
Don't use electronics without a line conditioner
I use Hondas and they are very good
If your recording audio ,get very large capacity extension cords and long enough to be far from the action.
Bring some kind of baffle to go infront of it( styrofoam sheet and something to mount it far enough from the generator(so it does burn)
Get a generator rated a little over the power you need.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Major Player

A word of warning - generators *do not* actually produce the rated mount of power at a constant draw - make sure you get a generator with a fair bit of headroom - so if you've got 2k of lights, I would hire a 3k genny...

(Actually, I've just noticed this at the bottom of Jack's post - sorry Jack!)

Also, for future reference, be aware that anything over about 8k is impossible to move without a tail-lift truck, as they are just too heavy to lift - so it may be worth (if you ever need to run >8k) getting two smaller units.
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

You could also try some deep cycle marine batteries, hooked up to a power inverter.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Dominic it was something worth saying twice!
Pete ,if noise is a problem you could also use a power pack as Keith said.But the charge won't last very long.
Like this http://www.4lots.com/browseproducts/xPower-600.HTML
This one is about 250watt hours. a 250 watt load for 1 hour or a 500 watt load for 30 minutes or a 1000 watt load for 15 minutes.
Normally not too practical but quiet.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management