Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Smith-Victor Soft-Lights???

Anybody tried these lights?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=250335&is=REG

They look like they'd be a super fast set up - and compact. I've got lots of experience with umbrellas and soft boxes and they can fill up a small room fast. The other question is that they look pretty small to have a real soft effect.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Major Player

I have them.

They are not as good as large softlights imo, but they work well in small rooms and are lightning speed to set up. Also a low and high setting, which is very helpful. A nice interview kit.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:37 PM   #3
Chimera Lighting

that says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Struthers
I have them.

They are not as good as large softlights imo, but they work well in small rooms and are lightning speed to set up. Also a low and high setting, which is very helpful. A nice interview kit.
plus look for grids

also

cool lux

r
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Michael,

you don't sound too enthusiastic but that's about what I expected. Are they pretty well made?
Buying something that you can't see in the flesh and something you don't have any experience with is always a little stressful.

Thanks again,
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the LTM Pepper version of this fixture and I like it a lot, though nothing made of sheet metal is as solid as something made of die-cast aluminium. I put an opal gel in the guide thingey, then slide the grid in front of that. Of course, there's already one level of diffusion built-in, by virtue of the light being reflected off of it's interior white surface. I then often add Tough Lux or similar on a 20" x 24" standard frame in front of the fixture and hey-presto, three levels of duffusion. Magic!

Having said all that, I wouldn't buy a kit of them, perhaps just one and while the price is good, S-V don't seem to have a grid for it.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #6
Major Player

After shipping your looking at $500. That's a lot for an SV kit. I've never used them, but Britek seems to be a better solution for the price.

A better solution for the money (imo):

1 Lowel Omni with barndoors
1 Lowel Pro with barndoors
1 Translucent Umbrella - around 40"
1 Silver / White Collapsible Reflector - 32" or more
1 Avenger D700B Reflector holder
3 Bogen 3333 9' light stands
1 Impact Light Kit Bag - WB111

This runs about $650 at b&h.

Add to this as you can afford to. Making a better investment will be cheaper in the long haul.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Korrow
Anybody tried these lights?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=250335&is=REG

They look like they'd be a super fast set up - and compact. I've got lots of experience with umbrellas and soft boxes and they can fill up a small room fast. The other question is that they look pretty small to have a real soft effect.

Thanks,
Chris
Hello,

I have the 3 Softlight Kit. The case needed padding to keep the lights from banging around, and the units are flimsy, but usable. I bought them to send out with new crew members to shoot testimonial stuff to get them use to working on their own. I will also use them on a corporate shoot as fill lights that can be moved quickly from place-to-place.

I like them if you can be gentle. Will they last as long as an Arri... No, will they serve you well if you take care of them... Yes.

JMHO

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management