Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this a decent lighting kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I'm looking at the above lighting kit. Looks like a pretty good deal, but it doesn't look like a brand name kit. Has anyone here bought kits off eBay? Any comments on the quality?

If you don't suggest this kit, what would you suggest? Thanks for the help!
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I would have no problem waiting out this auction, and hope to get it at the current price of $495. It is likely a britek kit, but I couldn't tell for sure. You could check out rostronics.com , they sell a lot of britek kits.

And on a side note, the seller has just over 100 sales, but has 100% rating on their feedback. They might be ok to deal with, but you have to read all feedbacks on ebay to be somewhat safe.
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I would have no problem waiting out this auction, and hope to get it at the current price of $495. It is likely a britek kit, but I couldn't tell for sure. You could check out rostronics.com , they sell a lot of britek kits.

And on a side note, the seller has just over 100 sales, but has 100% rating on their feedback. They might be ok to deal with, but you have to read all feedbacks on ebay to be somewhat safe.
I've looked at rostronics.com, and I'm looking into some of their kits. Is Britek a good brand? I'm now looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...514779429&rd=1

and adding on another light or two. As I've mentioned before, I'm new to lighting--does that look like a good kit to start with? What additions/changes would you suggest? Thanks in advance!
Eric Wotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

For the price, it is a great kit. Try it out, and add more as you learn more.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It appears it might the kit they are selling on the www.rostronics.com site for 425 dollars with the addition of some extras. Take a look. I am considering the same kit. Also, do folks here endorse the Rostronics.com site as a reliable place to purchase?

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Brian Austin Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

People here seem to be comfortable with Rostronics. On the DVXUSER.com website, they definitely consider Rostronics reliable and, unless policy has changed recently, Tom (at Rostronics) offers a 5% discount if you mention DVXUSER.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Austin Whitney
It appears it might the kit they are selling on the www.rostronics.com site for 425 dollars with the addition of some extras. Take a look. I am considering the same kit. Also, do folks here endorse the Rostronics.com site as a reliable place to purchase?

Brian
I just purchased the 1400 Watt Dual Power 3 light Kit at Rostronics and Tom is one of the nicest people I have ever dealt with. He ran out of regular stands so he substituted the heavy duty stands for free. I added an extra softbox and barndoor and got the 5% DVXUSERS discount because that’s where I heard of him. If you don’t see a kit that’s exactly what you want, give Tom a call and he’ll work with you to make one up to your specifications.

What I like about the kit I bought, is that rather than having two 650w lights, this kits has two switchable 300w/600w lights. Each light has two switches and two 300w lamps. This makes it really easy to switch one down to 300w for close up work or soft fill. The lights seem durable and each one has a built-in umbrella mount, and the barndoors have clips on them to hold gels. So they are very versatile little lights that don’t require a lot of accessories to be useful.

I would buy from Tom at Rostronics again in a heartbeat. I just can’t say enough good things about him or his products.

~jr

Last edited by John Rofrano; May 16th, 2005 at 09:51 PM.
John Rofrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

John,

Thanks for the plug, I will check them out based on your enthusiasm and I also saw them mentioned over on the DVXUsers board as well. Does this site have any similar member discounts from retailers?

Brian
www.justplainfolks.org
Brian Austin Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Don't waste your time going to eBay. Just head over to Rostronics to get what you want. Talk to Tom (a great guy), if you have any problems putting together your perfect kit.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management