Quick peek at my first flo design... one week left? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 4th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #16
Major Player

Ya' gotta' let me off the hook on time frames. Email me all you like, but I know I'm looking bad on the forums for giving time frames like this.

The thing is this is out of my control... my metal fabricator took 3 weeks to bend up a prototype... when he said it would take 3 days (and I supplied the drawings AND the metal cut to size)... and now he said I'd have 10 more of 'em by last Thursday... and you know what he said when I called Friday afternoon? "Call back on Tuesday"...

Well I bought a brake/slip-roll/press to fab the reflectors... and I've been shopping a BIG brake to do the rest of the process myself... and now you know why I want the entire operation "in-house".

In terms of "industry" nothing under 100 peices (PER batch) is significant... you gotta' try hard to get 10 and 20 of something made.

The knobs I'm using on the ends (for the barndoor clamps) have to be ordered in a minimum quantity of 300... and I had to BEG them to do that many... normal min is 1200... AND I'M ALSO paying a premium for the "small amount"...

So the whole deal has been a project. I coulda' just bought three Kino ParaBeams and saved myself a lot of cash...

...but I intend to still be making and selling these this winter... and as new shapes develop who knows? Maybe I'll become known for this stuff?

Keep your fingers crossed... as I get money to spend I spend it... some weeks on tools, some weeks on materials, some weeks on subcontracted work... but no matter what, every week is getting closer to what I want... so it won't be long... (sigh)... trust me.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Matt....
EXCUSES, EXCUSES,... <grin> Welcome to the wonderful world of "hurry up and wait"!

The first house I ever had built was a study in the chicken or the egg....the painters were ready, but the drywall guys weren't, and even if they were, the electricians hadn't finished up...ya da, ya da....

Just givin' you a little grief (as if you needed any more) We're all looking forward to the success of your project and wish you well.

Stress is a wonderful thing...

db
David Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #18
Trustee

Constructive comment

Excellent work, Matt!

Now... can't you do something about that speaker talking on your film? It sounds too amateurish. Add some rev and "seriousness" touch and it will be perfect. Perhaps talking inside the metal box might do it...

Just a comment to ease up the tension while we wait for the final products.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management