DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Basic light set-up questions

Ok, so I am probably going to buy a Lowel kit to start for Interviews and EPKs (and music videos and short films) but I need a little advice on set-up. I learned how to light photography a while back so I know how to get shadows and dramatic looks as well as the 1:1 ratio. My Lowel kit will include: (1) 500w Omni, (1) 750w Tota and (1) 250w ProLight. I may also be buying a 1k Lowel DP with a chimera softbox and will buy more lights (LTM 420w Fresnel Peppers, etc.) when I start making money off of these jobs I will be doing.

My question is that with the basic set-up I explained (the Tota, Omni, ProLight, and DP w/ softbox) how would you guys recommend me setting up the lights? What would I use for key? What for fill? I already own a 36" flex fill and I am aware that usually the 250w makes a good backlight or background light. Other than that I am rather new to video lighting. I am aware of technique as far as problem solving and working shadows (as I have read several books as of late), but they never really talk about wattage since that changes from job to job.

I am not looking for anything set in stone, just a basic guideline for me to build upon. I have seen Walter Graff's articles and really like his style.Thanks.

I don't need a real detailed explanation, just a gentle nudge in the right direction.

Last edited by Joseph Ivey; June 3rd, 2005 at 09:19 AM.
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management