DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New LED camera light from Sachtler S2408

hi, i have tried many on camera lights to try find one that suits every need and have now come across the new sachtler, it seems ok and the price is reasonable and it is alot smaller than my comer(good light just too big and annoying).

Has anybody used it yet? I would like to know how bright it is to see if it is worth buying.

here is a link to the light

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Reporter.html

http://www.sachtler.com/index.php?id=2298
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Trustee

Do you know what the Color Temp is?

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dany, I am also using Comer 1800 light. However, if I slap in the NP-F770 battery instead of the big NP-F970 battery, the whole light will be lot lighter. The battery still last about 2 hrs at maximum brightness. Otherwise Comer 900 is a great small portable light. It doesn't have a dimmer but only 2 level of brightness.

I use Comer 900 during the day at weddings when I need to run around and interview people. Then at night at wedding reception, I switched to 1800 for the brightness (and the condenser lens trick).
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Do you know what the Color Temp is?

Garrett
it comes in 2 teperatures, either 4500k or 3200k.

i would really like to try it but being in Australia and nobody here having it yet i cannot test it out.

the comer is just plain massive and weighs the camera down way too much, the light output is awesome but i just want something smaller.
Dany Badaoui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dany, you should try the NP-F770 battery with your Comer. It makes a big difference in weight and overall size.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Trustee

Taky, while In love my Comer 1800 light, the problem for me with the size of the Comer light isn't so much the weight, yes I also use Sony 770 batteries, but it's the actual physical size of the light that is cumbersome for me. People's biggest complaint about the original Sony HVL light (same as Comer 1800), wasn't so much the actual weight, but the fact that it was large and bulky in size.

And before you say it, I know of the CM-LBPS900, but the fact that it doesn't have a dimmer, which rules the light out for me.

My requirements for a camera light are...
1. Powerful
2. Dimmable
3. Self powered and replaceable power source
4. Stays cool, which means LED
5. Built in color filters, or adjustable color temp

There are several contenders out there for me right now, but no one light that satisfies all of my requirements.

So the search continues for myself and other to find the perfect camera light.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Michael,

That's a legit concern. I guess we can't have it all. For a powerful light, it comes to the size as trade off. I do agree the missing of a dimmer on 900 is a big bummer.

Also, having remote ON/OFF or control of dimmer would be awesome... with this and your requirement, + something affordable, there will be a perfect camera light =) some day.. somem day...
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Now how did I forget about the remote control power feature.
After all I have been trying to setup one for my Comer 1800's for months now. =)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM   #9
New Boot

Michael, do you have any interest in selling your 1800 or is shipping to the USA too expensive?
Stephen Cavaseno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management