Packing your light kit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Packing your light kit

Ok, this may sound like a noob question, but this is my first interview light kit, and I wanted to see what others do. Most of my lighting equipment is industrial-strength PARs used for event lighting, and I've been packing that for several years, and don't need to look *too* pro.

I just bought a [url href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300828-REG/Lowel_401450_Interview_Three_Light_Kit_Soft.html"]Lowel 3-light interview kit[/url], and it came with a soft case. I'm curious as to how people generally pack these things, since the soft case is all open with no compartments. Do people generally just throw everything in the bag? What about leaving the lights in their boxes, and packing those in there at one end with the light stands, umbrellas, etc.? While I would like it to look nice coming out of the case, when arriving at a client's place, I'm more concerned about protecting the fixtures and lamps.

If I were going to buy or build a case, it would have nice compartments for everything, but that's not going to happen anytime soon--I'll be using the one that came with the kit for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Matt – Here are some thoughts for you, you will already be aware of most mentioned, but it’s what we do in given requirements, and also a review as to why we changed the way we do general interview work.

1: Compressed Card Cases: We got these originally about 18 years ago (still look good) with photographic strobe light units (no longer made but similar to cases for drum kits and other instruments) they are very tough, hardwearing, separate compartments for up to 3 strobe heads, foam lined and very light – great for protection, speed and airline travel.

2: Pelican Cases: We have quite a few of these and while great when you need real protection, they are very heavy, and a pain when you need to work quickly.

3: Flight cases: We only use these on larger shoots with crew to lug equipment around.

4: Soft Cases - LED: These have their own compartments and are pretty hardwearing; we use these with our LED lights, when needing to work quickly.

5: Suitcase: Sometimes, depending where we are flying, we use a standard carry-on trolley case for our LED lights when travelling by plane with clothing or bubble wrap, wrapped around units for protection.

6: Where able, we use a trolley to move most of the equipment about.

I understand you have just purchased your "interview" light system and will not be keen to change that, but here is a link to a lighting review we did on LED lighting systems which looks at reasons we now employ these as part of our general interview kit. You may find it helpful.

http://www.studioscotland.com/litepan_review.htm

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Wrangler

Some folks have bought hard shell travel cases for golf clubs. This would work well for your interview kit. Not terribly expensive either.

Just a thought,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Tamrac 683 - LightSpeed 3 - Black

I've been using the Tamrac 683 for 3 years and it has held up fairly well. You can read my review of it here: Amazon.com: Tamrac 683 - LightSpeed 3 - Black: Camera & Photo

I don't use the dividers and place each light that I have in small, padded cases. With 4 lights, 4 light stands and a variety of grip equipment, it weighs in at 70 pounds.

I usually ship it via FedEx when I travel to an assignment. It lacks sturdy plastic corner protectors on the bottom of the case, a design shortcoming in my opinion, along with a narrow wheel base that makes it prone to tipping. But it's done a decent job of protecting my lights during shipping.
John Rakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management