Looking fro high end colour meter, anyone tried the Colorbug? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking fro high end colour meter, anyone tried the Colorbug?

I'm looking for a high end colour meter, has anyone ever tried the ColorBug from Seachanger? Looks cool but is it accurate. I'm really leaning towards the Sekonic C-500 but the ColorBug's iTouch interface interests me-probably 'cause its unique but I'm after quality readings.

Any comments?
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Trustee

I take photos in RAW when I want to measure exact color temp, which isn't very often.
Old December 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I mainly want to use it for lighting setups and evaluating light fixtures for video and film cameras. Are you saying I can take a RAW photo with my 5D and read colour data in Photoshop?
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm not sure that using Photoshop is the handiest way of checking the colour temp individual lights. I had a Minolta (now sold as Kenko) meter, but they're much more expensive than the meters your discussing. However, it was handy for quickly checking how much green there was and the CC requirements and the + green needed on tungsten lights.

They're also used for matching HMIs, which can differ.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Trustee

I have never used that colorbug thing so no idea there.
I still use my Minolta color meter II for this type work, which can be found inexpensively on ebay.
Many DSLRs can display the color temp info, so no need for Photoshop.

All the Best!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Major Player

The Kenko KCM-3100 is probably the best around today with the Sekonic being 2nd after that. As someone else noted, the Kenko unit used to be manufactured by Minolta and was the one that many used before as well under the Minolta name. You want an RGB type color meter, not just an RB type. With the RGB type, you can measure not just color temperature (and more accurately too) but also the green/magenta axis to tell you what kind of correction you may need.
Richard Andrewski - Cool Lights USA - RED #114
http://www.coollights.biz
Richard Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ficek View Post
I mainly want to use it for lighting setups and evaluating light fixtures for video and film cameras. Are you saying I can take a RAW photo with my 5D and read colour data in Photoshop?
That's right. As Brian noted however, it's not the most convenient way to do it, so it really depends on whether you want a cheap fix for occasional use, or an everyday solution.
Simply upload your RAW file to any RAW editor. Color Temp is part of the data.

BTW, the RGB Histogram can also be useful in determining gel needs.
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. I was initially interested in the Kenko but could not fine anywhere that directly stated it also measured light intensity in FC or Lux. I would guess that this was a standard feature as most competing meters do but I cant find where it says the Kenko does. Richard, could you confirm, as it sounds like you have one.

Maybe to expand my original questions.. I want to buy a light meter that is best in class between $1-2k specifically for measuring colour and intensity to evaluate lights for video and motion film setups. Still features a plus but not a key feature I'm interested in.

Is the Kenko 3100 the king of the class?

BTW I also need this to be hand held or stand mounted, laptop based solutions won't work for me.
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, colour temperature meters don't do light levels, you'll need a separate exposure meter for that. Fortunately, these are much less expensive than a colour temperature meter.

Sekonic meters are popular or if you want the traditional motion picture meter the Spectra:

Spectra Cine, Inc - Spectra Cine Film and Video Products

Also Kenko.
Old December 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Trustee

My reason for staying with my Minolta Color Meter II?
It does everything a new EXPENSIVE meter does, but it is far easier to calibrate.
I also use an old Minolta IV light meter.
As a side, many modern video cameras also display color temp info.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Brian Drysdale;1459792]Unfortunately, colour temperature meters don't do light levels, you'll need a separate exposure meter for that. Fortunately, these are much less expensive than a colour temperature meter.

Brian, thats what I thought until I checked out the Sekonic C-500. The specs on their website clearly indicates it does light levels as well as coulor temps. I don't think I've mis-read things but if you know otherwise please let me know. I'd hate to spend $1200 on a meter just to find out I'm still in need of another device.
I'm pretty sure that I've nailed it down to the Kenko 3100 or the Sekonic C-500 but still on the hunt for reviews. If the Sekonic reviews well it will win out due to the illumination measurement feature.
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Looks like the Sekonic does an illumination measurement. If you're happy working with foot candles or lux readings that's fine, it's the way cinematographers used to work when lighting (some still do). You can get tables for working out your exposure settings.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well I found some not so good reviews on the Sekonic for colour temp. Seems to be a consistancy issue. Kenko here I come,
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management