DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Pro 126-LED / 160-LED Light Offered by L.A. Color Shop

We now carry these affordable on-camera LED lights provides high power output at a fraction of professional camera lighting cost.

This light-weight Pro LED Video Light can be used with all consumer camcorders with standard accessory shoe mount. It delivers high luminosity output using energy-friendly LED technology.

Compatible with five different types of battery
- Sony NP-F970, Sony NP-F770, NP-F550
- Sony NP-FM55H
- Sony NP-FM500H
- Panasonic CGR-D16S, CGR-D26S
- 6 AA batteries

An On/Off switch with a full dimmer is built to provide maximum lighting flexibility. The light is default at 5400K day light color balance. Includes in the box is one white diffuser for softening the light spread, and one warming filter to reduce the color temperature for indoor use. A battery level test button is for checking the remaining battery power level availability.

Specification
- Power: 7.6 watts
- Color Temperature: 5400K / 3200K (with the included warming filter)
- Luminous flux: 650lux at 1m (126-LED) / 900lux at 1 m (160-LED)
- Size: 141 x 62 x 150mm
- Weight: 9.2oz

For more information
Pro 126-LED Video Light | L.A. Color Shop
Pro 160-LED Video Light | L.A. Color Shop
Attached Thumbnails
Pro 126-LED / 160-LED Light Offered by L.A. Color Shop-pro126.jpg  
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Awesome! Anyone would like to post some tests on these?

If they have what it take.. I'm going to order one!
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It really depends on what you are using them for. If you do professional work, that might not have all what it takes.

The light is inexpensive but with good built quality. It is bright for sure but it's 5400K color temp with hot spot output in the middle. You will need to diffuse to get even spread. The orange filter is somewhat very yellow. But with that price, it's something good to be used with vacation, kids birthday party and so. For professional work, I would still recommend the Comer line of LED lights.
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Taky I ordered a 160-LED form you last week to go along with my Canon 550D DSLR.
For what I want to use it for (simple fill light) the Comer 1800 is too large to be used on the DSLR.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Michael, that's great! Hope you can write us some review of the product. If you could, send me some photos or short video clips I will post it in our site. Much appreciated

Taky
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
For professional work, I would still recommend the Comer line of LED lights.
I agree with that assesment having had both. I got rid of my 126, didn't like it. I found it just as bulky as the 1800, build quality wasn't real high. I felt like the battery mount would break easily. The color correction filter is way off, too green. You can cut a piece of CTO gel and just jam it inside the front bezel. But it is cheap and puts out a good deal of light.

Last edited by Brett Sherman; March 8th, 2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added info.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
I agree with that assesment having had both. I got rid of my 126, didn't like it. I found it just as bulky as the 1800, build quality wasn't real high. I felt like the battery mount would break easily. The color correction filter is way off, too green. You can cut a piece of CTO gel and just jam it inside the front bezel. But it is cheap and puts out a good deal of light.
Wow you weren't kidding about the size of the light.
I just received the light and it is one big honker. It is lighter than the Comer light and has a thinner form factor. As you said cheaper construction and build quality.

I don't have batteries to try it out at the office, but am curious as to how well the throw and color temp of the LEDs themselves are. Definitely lighter in weight was I said and maybe a little more balanced, but the actual light itself will be the tell tale test. As far as the 3200k filter is concerned I might trying to affix some full CTO to the diffused filer and see what results I get.

What I am going for is a lighter, smaller form factor for my DSLR cameras. Due to the large size, I'm not sure if this will fit the bill or not.
The Comers will be used for the video cameras and off camera when the need arises.

I'd love the form factor to be a bit smaller. That's my only real complaint about the Comer 1800 is it's size.
I'd get the LBPC900 for it's smaller form factor but it's not dimable, only bank selectable.

Taky, and chance that Comer is looking into doing a dimable LCP900 light?
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #8
Trustee

Quick review of the Pro160

Well, just got the Pro160 yesterday and did some testing with it.
Here are some of my impressions. (Keep in mind I also own the Comer1800).

The main purpose of trying out this light was for DSLR use, if needed. While I love my Comer1800 LED light, it's just too large and heavy to be used on a DSLR.

I tested this on my Canon 550D DSLR, as this is what I was looking to get a lighter weight light than my Comer1800, which I generally use for off camera and on (video) camera lighting.

Build quality:
Ok, nothing to write home about. The body is completely plastic and the mount is sturdy, but would prefer metal. I might try to modify it to a stronger base. Filters are easy to apply and nice and robust. More on then later.

It's much bigger than I expected, but it's nice and lightweight, and thinner in dimension to the Comer1800. Even with the largest Sony LP battery it' s still much lighter and better balanced than my Comer 1800 is.

Light output:
Wow I was surprised!
It's bright, and the dimmer works clean and nice.
For good spread you definitely need the diffuser filter on. Without it the light is too spotty. With the diffuser applied I was happy.
I am not a fan of the 3200k filter, it's not balanced well for the LED color temperature, and the light source turns greenish in tint.
I would love to be able to get an extra diffusion filter that I could apply my own CTO gel to.

In a completely dark kitchen, throw from about 10 feet away was actually very good.

The light spread isn't as even as the Comer1800, it's a little hot in the middle and light falloff at the edges are more so than the Comer1800. But more than acceptable.

The dimmer works smooth and accurate.
There are no barn doors to control your light source, so light will spill everywhere. Not a huge deal breaker as I want a wide light spread for wide screen shooting anyway.

Power:
This a major strong point of the unit. Using a universal battery compartment, it takes AA batteries (6) and virtually any camcorder battery source. Not a fan of having to remove the battery door cover each time for battery replacement, but I understand why it's there.

I had to fiddle a little with getting my Sony batteries in there, but once I found the best angle to insert them it was a non-issue.
BTW, speaking of Sony batteries, the best overall size of Sony battery to use would be the NP770, as it doesn't add much weight and is easy to swap out batteries.
While the smallest NP550 battery is lightweight, due to it's thin form factor, it is annoyingly difficult to insert it quickly into the battery compartment.
The largest NP970 battery will run for a long time and is easy to get in an out. But you are adding extra weight to the light, as the NP970 battery is very hefty.
So the best Sony battery for this light, as well as the Comer1800 BTW is the NP770.

Conclusion:
Overall while not the best light out there, for the price the Pro160 is a good low cost, lightweight solution for DSLR shooting.
For the small lightweight form factor, it has a strong light output, is dimmable, comes with filters, is self powered (no cables), and can run for prolonged periods of time.

While I prefer my Comer1800 as a more professional light, that can be taken off camera (on light stand) and also on camera (still my light of choice for video camera), the Pro160 is a nice low cost option that I can use as a hair light or for my DSLR purposes.

And for the money I can say that the Pro160 is a steal.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; March 9th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

woow, thanks for such comprehensive review. It's very useful to learn from actual user. I posted your review to our blog

Pro 160-LED Light Review | L.A. Color Blog
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Too tempting at that price. If the first one works out, I'll add a couple more for an emergency 3 point lighting kit.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Compare to the cost of other professional lights, this is really not an investment =)
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Trustee

today i received 126 version, except for the flimsy mount it's great, very bright, dimmable, day light balanced, 3200k filter is crap, run time is great, on a fully charged NP550 2,5 Hrs continues lighting;
for $60 can't go wrong.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi all

I just got a couple of the pro-126 led light. I didn´t got them from Taky... but now that I´ve found how much they cost on his shop, I´ve should.

I bought mine on Ebay directly from China. Their price was the same as in Taky´s shop BUT mine had FREE SHIPPING. Nice, huh?

Well, they took almost a month to arrive to McAllen, Texas. So much for the free shipping.

Taky´s s&h is only $6 to the same destination, and I bet they will arrrive asap.

So my little advice is to buy them from taky, as I will next time I want another couple of these el cheapo lights... wich btw are really nice for the price.

Cheers!

Last edited by Alex Pineyro; March 11th, 2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Being Tacky to Taky :)
Alex Pineyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks for the plug.. but my name is Taky. I aint no tacky :)

--------------

Thanks for correcting my name =)

Last edited by Taky Cheung; March 11th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Major Player

LED on a light stand?

Hi Taky,

Just wondering if you've ever mounted the Pro-160 on a light stand? (Doesn't look like it's designed to do so...)

Like Steve, I may want a few for a 3 point lighting set up (maybe to use as a fill and back/hairlight. But if doesn't have barndoors...hhhmmm.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management