Inexpensive light meter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Nice to see I am not the only one! The shoot I am on now, I signed on just to "advise" a first time filmmaker. His videographer backed out last minute, and either I was going to operate (which I friggin hate) or the movie was dead. I asked all the usual questions. Got back the usual answers. There is 1 professional actor out of a cast of nearly 40. I asked about lights, I was told that one of the crew had "floodlights". I expected the worst on Day 1, and was still disappointed. As for sound, there was none, so I supplied the mic. There was no boom the first weekend. I had to sort that out too. The shoot I worked on last fall was quite a bit better as there was a professional sound guy, and I just mostly DPed. That shoot was a 5D, this one I am using the EX1.

Charles, I did camera tests on the EX1 to relate it to my meter. Essentially the equivalent of film tests to test the responses. I usually only shoot 1080/24p 180 angle -3 gain, so it's very very consistent. Occasionally I will shoot 720/60p for slo-mo so I worked that out too. I spent some time with the 5D working out some things that did ok for me. I shot that like I would a film camera with 2 stocks. ISO 320 indoors, ISO 100 outdoors. Usually F2.8 since the focus puller was working blind with only marks to rely on.

It's nice to see you guys doing work down in the trenches. I learn so much from you and these discussions.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Given these conditions, my light meter is the most valuable tool I have as DP. It's the ONLY consistent means I have to get anywhere close to the shots I want. It's not perfect, and if I had other methods such as those described here, I'd certainly be using them. But it's important I think, for beginners to realize that even though the light meter is not a perfect tool, it's certainly of value and can save your butt on shoots where you are trying to get something specific, and more modern, and dare I say, accurate, tools are not at your disposal.
Can you share your metering workflow? Back to my original question; can I use an inexpensive light meter to get the necessary results?
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #18
Major Player

For inexpensive light meters, I got one of these and it seems to work well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368226-REG/Sekonic_401_309_L_308S_Flashmate_Light_Meter.html
I got one used on craigslist for about $100. Seems like a good inexpensive option and much more useful than the analog ones which are a bit slower to read and adjust.

I find it quite useful for scouting and for quantifying the output of certain lights and modifiers as well as lighting ratios, to know what will work before I even start lighting a set. Of course I use a DSLR and tape measure to judge some of these things as well.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #19
Wrangler

Tape measure???

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management