Chinese China Paper Lantern lights - LED color corrected ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Chinese China Paper Lantern lights - LED color corrected ?

So it's been a while since i've had the joy and privledge of lighting a scene with a china light and with all the new LED technology I'm not sure exactly whats out there and what bulb to use. Heck, I barely remembered what I used two years ago. I believe it was a color corrected bulb that lasted around 3hrs.

Heres what I need. Some cheap and quick good lighting. One scene at a bar, the other a romantic dinner. Thinking of using a 16" or 20" lantern.

Are the 3hr photo bulbs still the best out there, something else that might last a little longer, burn cooler ?

Thanks
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Try a compact fluorescent or, even better, get a "Y" or "T" adapter to put multiple compact fluorescents in the same fixture. I've done it before and three 150W equivalent lamps is rather bright.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

How does this work regarding color temperature ? Will this be a good fill light in a romantic setting ?
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Trustee

Buy whatever color temperature you wish when you get the CFLs. There are usually two or three colors to choose from at the store. 2700K is the most common to match incandescent home lighting but daylight or an in-between "bright white" may also be available.

Chinese lanterns have their place and are certainly affordable. Their downside is that they spill all over the place, but that can be an advantage. A romantic setting can be lit many different ways. A china ball is simply a spherical diffuser. How it is perceived on camera is up to you and how you use your lights.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Major Player

I second the CFL option.

As for color temp, it depends on how you are balancing your camera and the color temp of your other lights. I've had better luck with the color rendering of daylight CFLs and if you are shooting a digital format you'll likely get a cleaner image using daylight color temperature.

I have some 5000k CFLs i use when using all daylight fixtures that give a slightly warm color to images from a camera set to 5600k. That is the nice thing about CFLs, you can carry a couple different color temp bulbs around and mix and match instead of gelling since gels will reduce light output. They are easier to gel too, though, since you can wrap gel right around the bulb without risk of burning since they dont get hot like tungsten bulbs.

Just check ahead of time to make sure the CFLs dont flicker or band or go too green/minusgreen since that can be an issue, tungsten color rendering will probably be superior.
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management