cool lights music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 10th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Major Player

cool lights music video

I've been meaning to post this for awhile. Pardon if i flood.

I was hired to gaff and grip this video that turned out pretty nicely. I thought it was particularly interesting since all but a couple shots (the ones where the big windows are clearly visible) are all shot 100% with my cool lights fixtures.

YouTube - Dave Wallace "Broken" with Vampires!!

In the room with the piano, its a 4 bulb fluoro lighting the wall behind the drummer (and the drummer). A single cdm 150 lighting the bass player and the piano player is lit 100% with a led600 running off a 12v battery hung up on the support beam. (The sun shining through the boarded up windows is natural, of course, but it really doesn't contribute anything noticeable to the lighting on the talent.)

When they are walking around through the gauze drapes, its 3 150s. Love scenes on the bed its the fluoro as key, and a 150 as side/hair light plus some extra fill from a 150 shot through the gauze from the other scene hung on a frame. In the chair its a 150 as hair light and another 150 punching through a 1/2 stop 6'x6' chimera. Bathtub is fluoro up high and an led600 for fill.

The whole thing is shot with a 7d. I brought my personal 7d to the shoot for fun, and when i wasn't doing anything I'd just shoot b-camera to play around. I gave my footage to the director when we were done and in the end, 15-20% of the video ended up being my own shots. Awesome!

DSLRs are changing the game. Where the cdm150s would have been secondary lighting, with a clean iso800 and bright lenses, the 150, fluoro and even LEDs have become seriously powerful instruments, even in a relatively large space like in this video. Awesome.

Its not my music video, I just worked on it, so you can feel free to praise/diss any part of it you want to. Comments/questions always welcome. Cheers!
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Hana hou! (used as "encore!" here in Hawaii)

This is great work on both your part and that of the director. The mood of the video fit the song perfectly and everyone looked great. The singer has ended up with a rugged sort of look like Daniel Craig while at the same time the actress looked elegant and naturally beautiful. The supporting musicians were lit nicely for their individual looks. I like that the bass player doesn't seem to have a huge shiny head even though he has a bright, hard light right on him. If there was a place to put it, a back light for the drummer might have been nice, but it looks hard to do in that location without a really tall ladder and excessive grip work for what must have been a limited budget.

Thanks for the detailed rundown of your equipment and methods.

BTW, youtube doesn't seem capable of playing the 720p version. It kept stuttering and putting up that working circle logo every few seconds even though I waited for the whole video to stream before playing.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

720 was fine for me - and looked pretty good in full screen. The thing that impressed me was the 'quality' of the light. To be honest, I suspect that's down more to how you used it than the light sources themselves. Plenty of people would have produced far worse lighting with the same box of bits. Best bits for me were the fine hair detail when backlit faces slightly turned.

Damn good job!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Really nice work Andrew. I liked the video. The song doesn't blow me away, that is the toughest part of doing music videos, there are very few made for GREAT songs. Most are made for okay songs. But your lighting was great, really well done.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management