Is there anywhere to hire someone to custom solder up a electronic device? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there anywhere to hire someone to custom solder up a electronic device?

The retina on my right eye popped off (lattice degeneration) and the left eye is not much better. I'd love to have one of these...

Colorimeter HCFR

... but I can't assemble it. And they'd most likely have to be able to read French. :(
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I don't have the capability to etch the board, but assembly looks to be very easy. I would guess that any half competent electronic service person would be able to handle the job.
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

looks easier and cheaper to buy a ready made , (spider)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Oh my goodness, what a blast from the past! I did many of these kits back in my teenage years as an aspiring electronics technician. They used to sell everything from a small blinking LED light kit to full ham radio transmitters...

Since there is likely calibration involved, I would advise against it, just buy the real stuff if you need precision.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ah yes, the days when Radio Shack was a grubby store with a counter and catalogs and you went up to the counter and told the guy which vacuum tube or resistor (or maybe transistor but I think this came later!) etc you wanted and he'd go into the back of the store and pick it from a parts bin.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Watch on eBay for a "Colormunki Create" - well under $100 when they pop up, and come with the software to calibrate your monitor, plus the sensor to hang in front of your screen to calibrate. I got one, great device, and I've got my used Hueys if you wanted (still good, but caused flickering with my Win7 install, were perfectly fine with my XP install). Just saying, for under $100 (well under in the case of used Hueys), you could be all set!

As noted, the costs of having someone cobble up such a "one off" device are not likely economical in comparison, much as I have fond memories of "tinkering" with Heathkit and RS "kits" and so on in my youth (and it was so much fun, video games can't compare!).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I suspect that the original poster is not looking to this device to calibrate monitors but rather measure the qualities of a light fixture. Am I assuming correctly Mark? If so I don't think a Colourmunki will do it.
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Having run across that French "project" a while ago, the prime thrust seemed to be monitor calibration, but maybe there are other aspects to their projects too...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You are correct in thinking that I want to use it on lighting in a manufacturing capacity, but it's not impossible that a Colourmunki or something similar might work. Surely something to look into.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Save yourself the grief of trying to make a monitor calibration system work for your LED manufacturing idea. Monitor calibration devices work on a different principle and measure light and colour a different way. If you are trying to determine CRI or CCT be aware that this is impossible with a handheld or desktop device. Both Kenko (formerly Minolta) and Sekonic make great handheld colour metres for picking colour temps (within reason). I have a Sekonic but also tried the Kenko, the Kenko seemed better suited to colour work but the Sekonic also does luminance values--more suited to my needs.

Short of a radiospectrograph and integrated sphere not much usefull colour info for a manufacturer is available at a reasonable cost in desktop or handheld tools. And really for the evaluation of LEDs you really care more about the spectral power distribution between devices and emiters anyways.

Good luck.
Chris Ficek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management