Inner Circle

with which battery?
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #77
Major Player

The NP-F570.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #78
Regular Crew

I received two of the Z96 yesterday and I love them!

The manual says you should not combine more than 3 x 3 (9 units) for stability reasons. I am thinking of building a light box out of at least 6 units (3 x 2) and I am wondering what sort of AC adapter or batteries I need to run in the DC plug with six plug splitters. Do they make them, or do I need to roll my own? I could use regular AAs or 570s to power all six Z96s but then the unit gets too heavy.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #79
Trustee

I don't know how long you're planning to run them in an array.
But a colleague of mine informed me the other day that the lights themselves do run hot. Which worried him a bit.

It's not that the bulbs ran hot but he lights themselves are generating heat from somewhere. So be careful when sing these for long runtimes.
Old August 14th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #80
Major Player

Why mess with putting 6 together? Just buy a 600 LED light. Would be cheaper, easier to deal with, require less power, etc. I don't see the upside to using 6 96s.
Old August 15th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #81
Trustee

A 600-led will also be cheaper...
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #82
Major Player

I did mention that. ;)
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #83
Major Player

Ordered two Z96's from China, hoping they arrive...
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #84
New Boot

Anyone shot tests with 600 LED light? What did you think? I've been looking at Litepanels and Kelvin Tiles, these are so much cheaper. What are the power options that come with the 600?

Thanks,

Evan
Evan Estern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Was also wonder if any tried the Comer like 1800's ? I saw the one review saying they returned it but anyone else give it a try ?
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Z96 Works Great!

Ordered a Z96 kit off of ebay from China. Took about 10 days to get here. Arrived in excellent shape.
Powered up - works great. Very bright!
A few items of interest.

- The Z96 is all plastic, but looks and feels well made.
- The hot shoe adaptor is also plastic, but works well also.
-The magnets on the filters are VERY strong - hold tight - nice!
- In AA battery mode you need to be sure to alternate the direction of the batteries to work properly. Follow the diagram molded into the chamber.
- In L battery mode, the AA battery door has to be open for the L battery to slide on properly - Works great also!
- On mine the dimmer works fine with NO hum at all. Also functions as the on/off switch. Smooth turning.

I will need to devise some sort of storage case for it so it can be properly stored in my camera case.
If anybody has a good idea I would like to hear.

Thanks!

Kevin Jones
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM   #87
Inner Circle

I bought the 126 LED light and boy, I can't complain at the Chinese price. But I'm going to complain anyway just so I can say you've been warned. Like others here I found that I simply couldn't tighten up the foot on its movable arm (very easy to modify with another bracket) and the diffuser kept slipping out of the guide slots so I've had to work on that too.

And then without warning the diffuser cracked. Doesn't affect it diffusing capabilities, but it does point the finger at the fragility of the whole (plastic) thing. Bin the orange filter - China must be working on a different Kelvin scale to us lot. Works beautifully with the NPF-570, over two hours of cool, clear light. No home should be without one, and I'm ordering the 160 light because I don't like the 'missing' LEDs in the four corners of the 126 lamp. Fussy, huh?

BTW, the coverage is the same in portrait or landscape mode - I've tested it.

tom.
Attached Thumbnails
96 led light-toms-loaded-nx5.jpg  
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:43 PM   #88
Major Player

I've shot for a few weeks now with two 96s and one 600. I could not be more pleased.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:04 AM   #89
Regular Crew

I did a time test with the Z96. On Eneloop power at the lowest setting, the Z96 gets over 80 hours continuous. I think the Z96 would make a great light in camping tents. On four hours a night, it can last nearly 3 weeks. Full power, the Eneloops provide about 80-90 minutes.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan McCullough View Post
Why mess with putting 6 together? Just buy a 600 LED light. Would be cheaper, easier to deal with, require less power, etc. I don't see the upside to using 6 96s.
If you're working under the misapprehension that a LED is a LED is a LED then you'd be right. Why bother? But LED functionality is all over the map and perhaps (I most certainly do not know) the LEDs used in the 600up light are less powerful (individually) then the LEDs used in the 96up light.

For what it's worth.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management