DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 4th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
New Boot

lighting question

Most of my work is in the outdoors but this year we've added some product reviews where we are running with a studio set up of sorts. Self made of course to save money. I'm having some lighting issues where I'm just not getting enough good light. The studio we made and use is less than 10 X 10 so we don't have to light a lot of space. Money is a big concern as we are just getting things up and running so it's all out of pocket at this point. What are my best options and what will I be looking at cost wise?
Equipment is usually XL2 but we also use an XH A1 from time to time
Robert Muncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Without knowing what light positions you're going to need (key, fill, etc), color temperature, etc. the best advice I could give would be to build up some PVC stands, purchase some Home Depot clamp lights, and hit up Amazon for some color balanced CFLs. Absolute minimum $$$.
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the response. Gonna look into that
Robert Muncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

When I went thru this, I found that stands in small rooms get in the way really fast. Ditto the cords.

I poked four 3/8 threaded rods thru the ceiling making a square about 20" in from the walls. In the attic, I attached them to rails that span the rafters. With the rods sticking into the room about a foot, I drilled holes in 1 1/2 Galvanized conduit. Let the conduit go another 12" past the junction. Now you have lots of places to hang lights. Very adjustable. See attached photo. eBay is your friend for getting a good deal on some incandescents like Lowel Omni or Pro. Someday, you'll want a softbox like a Rifa or similar.
Attached Thumbnails
lighting question-klieglbros_1.jpg  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

+ 1!!
Mark Wheeler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management