Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Trustee

My lighting setup - Any Opinions?

Hello everyone,

What do you think this lighting setup?

The main subject in this video is my hands, not the 100 years old German piano.

wmv file format around 7.1Mbytes.

Click here

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Leigh,

It was a little dark. In fact if you hadn't told me it was a piano piece, I wouldn't have known that it was a keyboard until he/you started to play.

I would try two no-cost things to see if you don't like it better.

First, I can tell from that clip that you want it to be dramatic, serious, somber. I think if you would just have someone hold a piece of foam-core above the keyboard (out of frame) and angle it so it is reflecting light directly down on the keys, it will look much better. You'll be able to tell they are ivory piano keys instead of grey lines.

Second, I would try an additional shot with the key light moved off the keboard line about 45° so that the rich woodwork gets a little more light. The little I saw of the piano woodwork made me want to see more of it.
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Patrick,

Thanks ;-)

I was just puting a 500w security light on the same side with the camera right side of the piano. I will try your suggestion tonight.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
Major Player

I think Patrick was about right.
I would bounce that light up at a piece of 4'x8' foamcore facing down at a 45 degree and close to the subject. If you have a smaller--say 100 watt fresnell-- you could aim that from behind for some "rim lighting" to outline the backside of the keys and the arms. Not critical. The shadows are falling up and away from the fingers, which makes the lighting unnatural -looking (the sun being at a high angle). If you had a "practical source" or a lamp sitting on the top of the piano, you could add another light aiming down.
Remember your lighting needs to be "motivated" (look like its coming from a source).

The image is a little too dark at the top of the frame, and falls off too fast- IMHO. With the light softened, the key areas will decrease and flatten, allowing you to bring up the iris some more and maybe even help shorten your deph of field if you are lucky.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management