DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Photon Management (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/)
-   -   Dedolight Ledzilla LED Light Review (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-management/484767-dedolight-ledzilla-led-light-review.html)

Steev Dinkins September 15th, 2010 12:07 PM

Dedolight Ledzilla LED Light Review

Here's a video review of the Dedolight Ledzilla LED Light ... YouTube - Dedolight Ledzilla Test with XF305

Here's the story - After scouring online to get the lowdown on this light, I went ahead and purchased 2 of them from BHphoto.

Regarding powering them, I have the DC XLR cord and that works great with any 12v-14v source. I also wanted the camcorder battery power option. The Sony battery plates were abundant, but I wanted the panasonic battery plate and it wasn't easy to purchase, since it wasn't anywhere online, except overseas, and confusion regarding whether there was a Panasonic version at all. I called Dedolight and they clarified it and the part number. Fortunately BHphoto did the custom order for me and now its in their system available for online ordering. Downside was that the screws for mounting the plate to the light body weren't included, so they're sending those out to me now. Still, I was able to test the plate and it works with the Panasonic CGA-D54 5400 mAh batteries. It does not work with the smaller 1900 mAh batteries.

In a word, they are awesome. I'm very jazzed about them, and they are actually the most easily transportable and malleable light I have now. Those looking for sunlight strength lumens comparing competitively to the brightest LEDs you can find - you will be disappointed. The Ledzilla is not a monstrously powerful light. However it's effective, and so far, the most creative portable light I've tried.

Testing was shot on the Canon XF305 with 1/48 shutter, 0 gain, aperture fully open, so these are near the least amount of light necessary for this and the HVX200. But the Ledzilla is actually way more than enough for DSLR lighting on the go.

I also have the Litepanels Micro and MicroPro. The Ledzilla is a little brighter than the Micro, but the MicroPro is equally bright, if not a tad brighter than the Ledzilla, however, there is hardly any way to sculpt the light on the Lightpanels.

Next test is how well they work with DSLRs.

Dan Brockett September 15th, 2010 03:23 PM

Nice review, very thorough. Just out of curiosity, why did you purchase two of them? Will these be your travel kit? Or will you just mainly use them in accompanying bigger lights? Do you shoot events?

These lights look very nice but like all Dedo products, are pretty expensive. I am sure when added up all of the accessories you bought for the two little lights, you must have spent, what, around $1,800.00 to $2,000.00?

Impressive lights but for me, a bit overpriced. For use on light stands, I have had very good results with the Coollights LED 256 in a travel kit. I adopted a small still photo softbox so it functions very nicely as a tiny travel kit single source and runs off of the same Panasonic batteries or Sony batteries. But I can see that your Dedos have far more use for cutting slashes and spotting small areas, the Coollight cannot do that because it is an LED panel, rather than a single bulb source like it looks as if this Dedo is? The Coollight is about half the cost though and comes with everything, bag, stand adapter, 3200 gel and minus 1/4 and minus 1/2 green, built-in dimming. Guess it just depends on what your needs are. Really like these but I feel that they are not the best value, they are made by Dedo, an old school lighting company that has always offered state of the art, but for high prices. Nothing wrong with that if you have the budget but I don't these days. Heck, I am buying new cameras (7D) for probably about the cost of your kit ;-)

Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Dan Brockett

Steev Dinkins September 15th, 2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1569740)
Just out of curiosity, why did you purchase two of them? Will these be your travel kit? Or will you just mainly use them in accompanying bigger lights? Do you shoot events?

I bought 2 of them for use both alone to sculpt lighting ranging from key/fill, key/backlight, and to use them with larger lights. But I also got them to light up other things in an environment that need precision lighting. Actually I am aiming to supplement the Coolights LED600 with this. I have 2 LED600s that I think are awesome. Essentially I am accumulating a range of LED lighting solutions.

I don't shoot events much without lighting already furnished - that is to say I don't usually go into events and supply lighting. These could work pretty decently at that, but I think the Ledzilla is better used for creative lighting in controlled environments, even though its marketed as an on-camera light. They are far better than that. That being said, I am shooting more studio and on-location controlled environments, and wanted cool LEDs, battery operated, and compact for traveling light and stealth.

Quote:

I am sure when added up all of the accessories you bought for the two little lights, you must have spent, what, around $1,800.00 to $2,000.00?

Cost of 2 of these with accessories was about $1300. But to compare, I was looking at spending this same amount on 1 Zylight Z90 but decided against it and got 2 lights instead of 1. Tis all relative aint it? :)

A little off-topic, I also decided to go a cheaper route on color changeable LED lights instead of Zylight. See here:

YouTube - Chauvet ColorDash Accent Par 38 Tri LED DMX Light Test 01

I think I'll start a new thread on those.

Quote:

Impressive lights but for me, a bit overpriced. For use on light stands, I have had very good results with the Coollights LED 256 in a travel kit.

Yes, I'm a fan of the Coolights - I have 2 of the LED600s. I'm also interested in getting one of the LED 256s as well, but for now, I'm happier with the Ledzilla purchase.

Quote:

But I can see that your Dedos have far more use for cutting slashes and spotting small areas, the Coollight cannot do that because it is an LED panel, rather than a single bulb source like it looks as if this Dedo is?

Exactly! :) The Dedo has a focusing lens which sets it apart from any other LED lighting I've seen so far. I hope there's more of this tech coming out. It's great to have LEDs in panel form for cheap, but I wanted to be inspired by some incredibly crafted creative control which the Ledzillas have. I gotta say, it's easy to get a huge range of lighting effects in seconds with these lights. I love how they are circular and focusable. They are are great mini-fresnel-like gadgets.

Quote:

The Coollight is about half the cost though and comes with everything, bag, stand adapter, 3200 gel and minus 1/4 and minus 1/2 green, built-in dimming. Guess it just depends on what your needs are. Really like these but I feel that they are not the best value, they are made by Dedo, an old school lighting company that has always offered state of the art, but for high prices.

Yes, but for one, with the Dedos, you don't need the minus green - the Ledzillas are superior light in that regard. They have the 3200 filter built-in so you don't need to grab any plastic sheet and wedge it. Ultimately, I agree the Ledzilla isn't the best value for what most people use their LED lights for. But if you are being really particular about the shape of your lighting and want to do it fast, I think the Ledzillas are the better value. It just depends on how much money you think is reasonable for the features you need. If you don't need the features, there are way better values - like the Coollights.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that if you have the budget but I don't these days. Heck, I am buying new cameras (7D) for probably about the cost of your kit ;-)

Yep, budget was there. And yes, you can buy a camera or 2 for the price of 2 of these Ledzillas. But cameras are going way down in price with standard high qualities being preserved or improved upon, but I'm not seeing the same happen in lighting, so sometimes I splurge on things as need be. However, you gotta remember what excessive costs of the rest of productions can be that are exponentially more expensive than the DSLRs that are being used to shoot them now.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

-steev

Dan Brockett September 16th, 2010 08:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback Steev. They do look really sweet and I like the control you have with them. That is the only thing I dislike about all of the Coollights LEDs, there is no LED fresnel or spot solution yet. I still end up mixing in a lot of Arri 150s and Lowel ProLights to do the kind of cutting and accenting you show in the video.

Another great thing about your Dedos, if you ever decide to sell them, I bet you will be able to get close to what you paid for them. Used Dedo kits are rare and when they come onto the market, they hold their value, just like buying a used Honda Accord.

Would love to see some real footage when you use them on a project. An LED 256 would be a worthy addition to your package. I too have a couple of the LED 600s. Overall, I absolutely love lighting with LEDs, they are letting me work in ways that was never before possible. I shot a commercial a month or two ago with Edward James Olmos in a train station where I had no access to power. I was able to use the two LED 600s and the LED 256, all running on battery power, to provide a nice three point setup. Director, clients and Mr. Olmos were very happy with the end result. We were underground and I couldn't use a generator either. What would I have had before the Coollights to do this kind of shoot, a bunch of battery powered HMIs, tons of weight and heat and about a $500.00 rental charge.

Good luck with your new lights.

Dan

Ram Ganesh October 6th, 2010 05:06 PM

Been looking at Zylight - but this looks like a great alternative...

Thanks for the review!

Matt Davis October 17th, 2010 02:53 AM

I worked with one of these last year, and - wow.

It's a pocket Dedo spot.

Dedo LEDzilla – a lustworthy toy Travelling Matt

Good kit gets used all the time, bad kit sits in the bag and gathers dust. Have to say, my LitePanels Micro hasn't really been used at all. Doesn't have the punch, the depth or the quality that makes me reach for it. However, I remember the week with the LEDzilla.

It filled daylight gently. It threw punch into product shots in that awful conference/convention hall lighting. It was a perfect little helper as a low power kicker in 3-pt head shots.

Somehow I forgot to purchase one, so I will sell my Lowel ProLite to help things along and make room for it in my lighting kit.

Les Wilson February 5th, 2011 08:23 AM

Just to add some finer design points I hadn't known when I bought it but noticed quickly:
Here it is with the 1/4-20 mount on my EX1R handle:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...r20_attach.jpg

1) The LEDzilla light by Dedo is wonderfully designed and engineered. It's shoe attachment has a 1/4-20 socket and tightening nut built-in. That mechanism (blue arrow) nicely tightens to a 1/4-20 bolt I made. Borrowing a knurled 1/4-20 ring (purple arrow) from a spare shoe to 1/4-20 adapter I had on hand, I am able to attach the LEDzilla with this very small (about 5/8 inch) DIY 1/4-20 to 1/4-20 adapter I made.

2) The whole light is made with precision. Especially the 4 light controls. They all move smoothly and fold absolutely flat.

3) There are tiny gel clips on the barn doors for gel-ing the light.

Other Data:
Using the meter in my EX1R, I see about a 10% loss in light output from the diffuser and 15% from the tungsten CTO.

The power cable from Dedo is right angle and threaded so it stays put.