New LED Lights - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 28th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #46
New Boot

GreatLITE

Item #33006 comes with a desk stand cradle, AC and Cig Lighter charger. It has 36 LEDS with a built in rechargeable battery lasting about 3 hours. Have used it for small spot lights but gaffed on yellow gel to match 5600K main LED lights. It has a hand paddle and a hook recessed in the plastic back. Water resistant. $39.95 at G.I. Joe's outdoor store.

Just got back from Malaysia two weeks ago on a week long video shoot. Charged them before I left. Used two of these lights there for about 1.5 hours and when I got back for about another hour. This picture shows how much charge they still have.

This is cheap insurance. Kind of awkward in holding or mounting to anything but hey, isn't that what that black tape is for?

I also have a small Sigma light but although it mounts easily in a shoe, it has very little light and shooting HD, no one wants those little ants crawling around.

QUESTION - Fredrik-Larsson, did you use any camera gain on that test shoot?
Attached Thumbnails
New LED Lights-top-foods0003.jpg  
Richard Noll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #47
DVCreators.Net

Hey Richard,

Your light reminds me of one I recently picked up at Harbor Freight for testing. It was $59 though. They're alright if you can get 'em really close to the subject. After color correcting with gels, I found that they loose quite a bit of their intensity. They're cool though if this is your only light and you can white balance to 'em.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93663

My Litepanels mini though has about 4x the output and is color balanced, dimmable and camera mountable. Still though, these are good if you want to skate by on a budget.
Attached Images

Old August 31st, 2006, 04:46 PM   #48
New Boot

I thought I saw somewhere that the Vidled light had an option to take a Panasonic battery. Anyone know if this is correct?
Denver, Colorado
Brian Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:52 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wiley
I thought I saw somewhere that the Vidled light had an option to take a Panasonic battery. Anyone know if this is correct?
Hey Brian,
yes, that's sort of correct. What we have is an HVX/DVX adapter plate that can be connected to the VIDLEDs via its cable. It currently looks like this:

http://vidled.com/DVX_adapter.jpg

But this will soon change to the housing being BLACK, and the cable being non-coiled.
-----------
Marius Luessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:16 PM   #50
New Boot

Thanks Marius; I'll be ordering one of your lights sometime in September.

Brian Wiley
Brian Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:27 AM   #51
Regular Crew

i just received my zylight last week. it took about a month to get - they're on the front edge of getting these shipped. so far, i'm impressed. i have mine mounted on camera (i built an arm that extends out from the threaded handle position) and its very easy to get off of the camera when needed.

i've only had the need to use it once so far - in an airport off-the-shoulder interview - and it worked well. the thing that makes it very useful is the infinately variable color temp. the dimmer as well. litepanels are one color - and not dimmable. a little more 'punch' would be great, but isn't that always the case?

my plan is to keep it mounted as an on-camera light, but with the accessories (ac supply and other mounting options) in one of my light kits to use it as a back/background light in sit-down interview situations.

so far, only one real concern - the zylight has a small 'status' led that is constantly lit if power is available to the light. i understand the idea here, but since my betacam sits for extended periods with the battery on it, i'm not keen about something always drawing power. now - yes...its a small led, but my point stands.

my work-around is in the fact that my pvv-3 deck does not have a switchable dc-out spigot. i modified my anton bauer gold mount plate by replacing the 'automatique' switch with an on/off switch that controls the power tap.

power to the zylight as well as my wireless rx's can then be shut off with one switch - which kills any potential power drain. i wouldn't need this modification on a D600, etc as they have a 12v switched output. now the zylight status light is actually a 'plus' for me as its a visual reminder that my power tap output is still 'hot'.....but, all things being equal, i'd rather the zylight do away with the status light....

(btw...the 'automatique' switch is simply pulled from the mounting hole, and pushed aside inside of the anton plate. i broke the + connection to the power tap and put a similar sized switch in line. it can all be put back to stock very easily...)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management