Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 28th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Trustee

suggestions on led setup interview to achieve a look like this

Hola guys,
i wanted to hear from u lights gurus how could i achieve a look like this on the interviews with led lights

Please check interviews after 1.10 or 1:48
YouTube - Show of Force

I'm buying 2 z96 led lights, what else should i buy for having this soft look? Thank u
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Major Player

OK, I stopped the video at around 1:16. Looking at the female petty officer's interview. She has a key light on the left side and a hair light behind. I'm guessing a bounce fill for the right side. There's a wash or two on the background, with what looks like a cookie shadow to the left. Can you achieve that with Z96 LED lighting?

I guess, yes you could, but not without a helluva lot of experimentation! My suggestion would be to try it out on a test subject to get the look you're looking for. The Z96 would have to be relatively close for a keylight. The fill, too me, looks like a relective light bounced from the key or sommat. There is a hair/rim light which would work from a Z96 placed in the proper location... I'm guessing froma bit further away that the key.

Add a wash on the background from another Z96, though it looks like barndoors have restricted the light, and I have no idea how an LED can do a cookie, without multiple shadows. (Maybe the fact that the background is out of focus helps.)

Again, I'm guessing you could do this exclusively with Z96 lights, but you'd really need to test it before hand. Testing on a shoot is really bad form!
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Wow, i really appreciate your patience for watching the video and writing all the stuff!
thank u mate

I'll wait other suggestions too

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Trustee

Agree with Bob.

There's nothing particularly unusual about the light plot.

I'd bet on a Tungsten softbox with a 40 degree grid as a key.

In most of the shots, it looked to me like hardly any fill or rim were needed. Maybe a bounce card. But there are quite a few stops between the key and the fill —*and the shoulders and facial edges had no strong light that I could see.

Basic 2 point lighting, really. Still, because of the environment and the shooters' ability to back off, keep the iris wide and keep the depth of field shallow, the background works well.

Nice job Navy.
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Wrangler

Those Z96 are too small to create a soft key and too weak to be used with diffusion or bounced so that they could become a key (unless you were shooting under very low light levels).

Units like that are best for either onboard doc or event style shooting where you simply need portable fill light and can deal with the onboard look, or as little accent lights that can be placed into the set quickly to pick out edges or details.

If you want a soft interview key, think of it being at least 2'x2' and hopefully bigger. LED's are great but still pricey for large sources with proper color temperature. There are quite a few inexpensive fluorescent fixtures out there as well as Chimera type softboxes for inexpensive open face tungsten units.
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Thank u guys for your helping tips
Question: What do u mena for BOUNCE? A reflective panel?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management