Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 28th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #1
New Boot

Affordable E39 Umbrella/Softbox Kit?

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the indoor lighting game, and playing around on a shoestring right now until I can afford to buy some real gear.

I've experimented with a number of different things (all in the sub-$150 range), and so far what I've found works best for my needs is two simple cheap umbrella kits, with 85W CFL (so 350W-ish equivalent) bulbs. It works surprisingly well (not going to win any lighting awards, but okay for what I'm doing), but I'd like to get a bit more light on my subjects without adding too many more lights.

So I was looking around and came across 200W and 250W 5500K CFL bulbs (indoor grow lights, it looks like). The problem is, they seem to be E39 bases, and my umbrella kits are E26.

Does anyone know of a cheap umbrella or softbox solution with an E26 base? Or are there instructions somewhere on how to replace the base?

Thanks so much, and pardon the ignorance present in the questions!
Brendan McGuigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2
New Boot

Am I asking the wrong question? I'm open to being corrected on a fundamental misunderstanding, if that's the case!
Brendan McGuigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you try google?

MEDIUM (E26) TO MOGUL (E39) BASE SOCKET ENLARGER
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McGuigan View Post
Hi everyone,

The problem is, they seem to be E39 bases, and my umbrella kits are E26.

Does anyone know of a cheap umbrella or softbox solution with an E26 base? Or are there instructions somewhere on how to replace the base?
Electrical Distributors/Wholesalers and a number of online places sell the E39 to E 26 adapters for under $4.00 each. Photo places like B&H sell the same thing for just under $10.

I just bought some last week for $3.12 each; Leviton part number 8681; mogul to medium base adapter.
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Brendan,

What are you using to mount the lights to the light stand for the umbrella? I'm having trouble finding a fluorescent mount for my lights stands and umbrella
Colin Krieg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management