Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old January 26th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #1
New Boot

Green screen & silhouettes

Hey guys,

I'm shooting a 10-minute short film which will be performed by dancers in silhouette. These silhouettes will then be superimposed against an animated background in post. In theory, I suppose it would be possible to shoot the dancers in silhouette against a white backdrop and use luminance values to control the visibility of the silhouette layer, but in real life, I'm never going to get a 100% perfect black silhouette and any slightly brighter/greyer areas in the image are going to cause holes and other variations in the transparency of the silhouette layer. I don't fancy having to tweak all this in post, so I've decided it's probably a safer option to shoot the dancers against a green screen and to harvest their silhouettes from the resulting matte.

We'll be shooting in a local theatre, with the green screen attached to the fixed cyc at the rear of the stage. There's a bank of 18 x 500W floods fixed on the cyc, so the green screen should be nice and bright and evenly lit. What I'm wondering is as I'm only after the dancer's outlines, will it be better to shoot them as close to silhouette as possible or should I light them as I would on any other green screen shoot?

Thanks,

James

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management