My tota lamp and new softbox r smokin...normal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Major Player

My tota lamp and new softbox r smokin...normal?

I received my Photoflex Silverdome NXT lightbox and connector today. I assembled it and turned it on. IT is smoking out the upper vent. IS this normal until all the newness is burnt off OR is it something i need to be concerned with. I have a 1000 watt bulb in the Tota and the softbox is rated for 2000 watts.

I only have had it on for a total of 10 minutes, but its looking good so far.
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

do you have 911 on speed dial? ;-) oh, and don't throw water on the electrical fire.

I'm kidding, I' . It cm kidding. Could be the bulb is burning off some oil that got on it. I've had a couple new bulbs that did smoke for a few minutes but once that was done they were fine.

Of course I could be totally wrong and you're calling the fire department as we speak.

O|O
\--/
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Usually new lights need to burn in the paint of the housing, some bulbs are painted black at the tip, for example bulbs for Dedolights will burn in the paint. if it is the bulb it is over in a couple of seconds, but the housing can take a while. There is some smoke and a burnt smell.
I always leave new lamps running for a couple of hours in a well ventilated area before taking them to a job.
Oliver Neubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
do you have 911 on speed dial? ;-) oh, and don't throw water on the electrical fire.

I'm kidding, I' . It cm kidding. Could be the bulb is burning off some oil that got on it. I've had a couple new bulbs that did smoke for a few minutes but once that was done they were fine.

Of course I could be totally wrong and you're calling the fire department as we speak.

O|O
\--/
I just put the light outside and pointed it towards Chicago....Should be getting a lil warmer!
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I see a bright light coming in from the north of me. Must be you!

I have to learn to spell check before I post.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Sorry - mis-posted
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Major Player

I have purchaased 3 new tota lights within the last 60 days. All 3 smoked a little when I first turned them on. It didnt last long. Also, make sure that the lamp doors are open before turning on the light.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you Kevin..

I put the Totas inside a softbox. The softbox was smoking out the top where the vent is that allows the "chimney effect" air flow cooling.

I discovered that a piece of the inside heat resistent material had bubbled and was smoking. It was a defective light box.

Sent back to supplier.

New replacement is working great...I am VERY happy with my Tota and photoflex NXT softbox.
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: My tota lamp and new softbox r smokin...normal?

I would strongly sugest NOT using 1k bulbs in tota lights. I have had every piece of plastic in the tota melt on 3 lights and in one case, the tota caught fire (one of our PAs was in a VFD and put it out before it could damage anything). I sent all three back to Lowel and got replacement and the rep on the phone said that it's quite common. The most I use in a tota is 750w
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: My tota lamp and new softbox r smokin...normal?

I've been using Lowel Tota-lights in Photoflex Silverdome softboxes for several years and have never had a problem. However, I've never used a 1000 watt bulb. Lowell specifies a 750 Watt maximum @ 120 volts for the Tota.
John Rakis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management