Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Litepanels MiniPlus 5600°K Flood vs Spot

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a new on-camera light for my HVR-S270U. I've pretty much narrowed down my search to Litepanels MiniPlus 5600°K flood or spot. I will mainly be shooting weddings or rather the receptions run and gun style. I see from the specs that the spot throws more light than the flood. Is there any reason in this case that I should even consider the flood? What are your thoughts on one vs. the other?

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by Michael Bray; February 10th, 2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Clarify model type
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Have you considered the LitePanels Sola ENG?
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I just looked at the LP MicroPro and unless I missed something (plus I own a Micro) there is no mention of Flood Vs. Spot. The 1x1 panel do come that way (as well as none adjustable floor or spot in variable temp and non variable temp models) but the MicroPro is basically a flood type. It's throw is somewhat short but I have found that for weddings it works just fine. I use the diffusion and 1/4 CTO on it which makes that about an net of 20W at full power. The Pro version is 55W at full power but with diffusion and CTO on it (nice warm up) it would probably be about 50W at full power which frankly might be a bit too much so you might just be able to dial it down a bit.

Specs:
Size: 5.5" W x 4" H x 1. 5" D
(139mm x 101.6mm x 38.1mm)
Weight: 10.5 oz (300g)
Power Draw: 9 Watts
Six AA batteries (internal)
5600°K Daylight Output (cool white)

Included with light:
3200°K Daylight to Tungsten conversion,
¼ CTO warm and White Diffusion
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Roo View Post
Have you considered the LitePanels Sola ENG?
I looked at it briefly but perhaps I should give it a bit more consideration. I'm just not a huge fan of the Fresnel style lighting...but if it does what I need it to do and does it well, I'll take function over form anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I just looked at the LP MicroPro and unless I missed something (plus I own a Micro) there is no mention of Flood Vs. Spot. The 1x1 panel do come that way (as well as none adjustable floor or spot in variable temp and non variable temp models) but the MicroPro is basically a flood type. It's throw is somewhat short but I have found that for weddings it works just fine. I use the diffusion and 1/4 CTO on it which makes that about an net of 20W at full power. The Pro version is 55W at full power but with diffusion and CTO on it (nice warm up) it would probably be about 50W at full power which frankly might be a bit too much so you might just be able to dial it down a bit.

Specs:
Size: 5.5" W x 4" H x 1. 5" D
(139mm x 101.6mm x 38.1mm)
Weight: 10.5 oz (300g)
Power Draw: 9 Watts
Six AA batteries (internal)
5600°K Daylight Output (cool white)

Included with light:
3200°K Daylight to Tungsten conversion,
¼ CTO warm and White Diffusion
I was actually referring to the Litepanels Mini plus series not the Micro series. With the Mini Plus series, they have the option of spot or flood.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (probably here on Dvinfo) that the spot was the way to go. If anyone here has real world experience with one vs the other, I would appreciate it if you could shed some light on this topic (pun intended...sorry, that was bad...I'll try to refrain from the jokes).

Thank you Ed and Don for the input thus far.

Best Regards,

Mike
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Major Player

I looked at the Mini Plus last year and decided to hold off on my purchase.
Then the SOLA ENG was announced and I waited some more for it to be released.
I ordered one three weeks ago and it arrived today.
It is bigger than I imagined it, but WOW! What a light!
Tomorrow I will run through an interview set up and see how well it works.
My first light kit weighed 70 pounds and I hauled it around in a huge case.
My second light kit weighs 25 pounds and I carry it in what looks like an airline carry on case.
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Inner Circle

So you did. My apologizies. I really do need to wear my reading glasses when I read. :-( <sigh>
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Speaking in general terms, I understand the difference between a spot light and a flood. I was just hoping there was someone here in the community who has used the MiniPlus (spot and/or flood) and could provide a little bit of guidence on which one would be better suited for the type of shooting I do (mostly weddings or rather the receptions where the venues are sometimes dimmly lit). I shoot mainly with an HVR-S270U which is fairly decent in low light.

Looking at the specs a bit further, their almost identical. The only real difference between the two are:

Flood:

50° beam spread
Distance: 2' / 0.6 m = 100 footcandles / 1,100 lux
Distance: 4' / 1.2 m = 26 footcandles / 280 lux
Distance: 6' / 1.8 m = 13 footcandles / 140 lux

Spot:

30° beam spread
Distance: 2' / 0.6 m = 160 footcandles / 1,700 lux
Distance: 4' / 1.2 m = 72 footcandles / 775 lux
Distance: 6' / 1.8 m = 28 footcandles / 280 lux

I'm thinking that the spot light is the way to go. Anyone have any thoughts? I just don't want to pay out that kind of money for the purchase until I know a bit more info. Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,

Mike
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Major Player

With the spot, you have the higher lux rating which you can always soften with a diffuser.
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Trustee

Spot vs Flood: go with the Spot

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the Key Light should generally be stronger than the floods, and I've read by a factor as much as 2. Hence, if this is true, then a Key Light as a spot would probably be the best way to go.

Disclaimer: I'm a hobbyest, not a professional, so consider the source.

Okay, something else. I have two new-to-me Cool Lights CL-600LED floods. I didn't get the third yet because I've been trying, like you, (i.e., Michael Bray) to figure which way to go: another flood, a 256 spot, or a 600 spot.

My thinking originally was that I might be able to use a 600 flood (I'm only talking LEDs here) and tweak the barn doors to funnel the light and, in effect, create a spot.

Test: I set up a 600 flood on the tripod (8-foot ceiling) about 8 feet away from a ~white wall and moved the vertical barn doors inward toward the center. The light beam noticeably narrowed - but - the "quality" of the light, I felt, didn't produce what I would call the desired spot light effect. LEDs aren't really the best for producing a spot effect without a fresnel lens. This has been confirmed to me by three people I talked to yesterday who are professionals in the business.

The other thing to take into consideration is, what every type of light source one uses, it should be (unless one is seeking a special effect) the same, i.e., Tungsten, Quartz, or LED, for all the lights.

So.... to answer your question about which way to jump, my recommendation would be to spring for a "Spot" vice a flood, so I'd agree with you as that is the way to go. Secondly, I'd opt for a large Key Light vice a small one. (I'm still open on this last part but I think that's the way I'm going to go, with a CL-600LED Spot, Dimmable. (can be dimmed in light banks)

Specs on the 600:
40 degree beam spread

Distance: 2' / 0.6 m = 7200 lux
Distance: 4' / 1.2 m = 2610 lux
Distance: 6' / 1.8 m = 740 lux

I've got thick skin and I'm open for input from the more experienced.

Edit: Guess I didn't read the original post well enough. This should be for a "run-'n'-gun" style of shooting which I assume would be with a single light, not a three-light setup. This changes the whole picture! In this case, I don't know what to say now, but a flood might be easier on the Talents eyes. On the other hand, you'll no doubt be further away than 6' so a spot would have better throw.

Last edited by John Nantz; February 19th, 2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Problem: I can't read! See "Edit" at bottom of post.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hence my question...I know the flood has a wider beam and wouldn't be as harsh, I know the spot has a narrow beam but more throw and can be diffused if need be. I know both lights would work...what I don't know is which one would be better suited for run n gun shooting. I really don't have it in my budget at the moment to purchase both versions so I would like to make the best choice I can giving my shooting style.

Thanks again everyone, for your answers thus far.

Mike
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Trustee

Contact the Company directly

Mike: if you're running out of time and not getting quite the answer you want from the forum, what you might do is to try and contact the company (importer, distributer, or what ever) directly and see if there is someone that can help. These guys are hopefully experts in their product and I'd think they could steer you in the right direction.

If this doesn't work, then I'd seriously consider trying a different company. In fact, you might do that anyway just to see if the feedback seems consistent.

With my Cool Lights (this is more for a studio setup with light stands), I've had very good results with talking to them directly. Fluorescent HMI and LED Video Studio and Location Lighting - Cool Lights USA
The light panels I have are a tad large for run-'n'-gun but they can be battery powered with a battery pack, but this would be more for a site without 110V power or a generator.

If it's camera mounted, or mounted on a short arm, be sure to ask them about red-eye.

Hope this thought helps as an option until a better reply comes along.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Re: Litepanels 5600°K Flood vs Spot

Thanks for the reply John. I think this qualifies as the perfect reason (or excuse to tell the wife) why I need to fly out to NY and visit B&H. I know a phone call to the various companies would be easier but a trip to the video toy store is always more fun ;) While there, I'll go hands on with all of their on-camera lightng and see what works best.

Thanks again for all of the replies everyone.

Mike
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Re: Litepanels MiniPlus 5600°K Flood vs Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bray View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new on-camera light for my HVR-S270U. I've pretty much narrowed down my search to Litepanels MiniPlus 5600°K flood or spot. I will mainly be shooting weddings or rather the receptions run and gun style. I see from the specs that the spot throws more light than the flood. Is there any reason in this case that I should even consider the flood? What are your thoughts on one vs. the other?
Michael, have you considered Comer 1800 light? It has a much higher lux rating. The light is diffused by default so you got a even spread on the 16:9 screen. The included condenser lens create an instant spot light makes it even brighter.

I am a wedding videographer myself and just love using the condenser at reception. Since it creates a spot light. During the day I will have to run around and interview people. The dimmer is very useful. However, it doesn't have 5600K. The default 4500K makes it suitable to be used indoor and outdoor.
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Taky,

Thanks for your reply. I already made the trip to B&H and ended up purchasing the LitePanels MiniPlus 5600k spot and thus far have no regrets. I also own a Sony HVL-LBPB which looks almost identical to the Comer 1800. I wish I had known about your Comers before the Sony purchase. You have much better prices.

Mike
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #15
Inner Circle

That's cool. Congrats on your purchase. =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management