Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 12th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Low Cost Bescor On-Camera Lights?

Has anyone used the cheaper Bescor on-camera lights like this one-->
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It appears to be a good light because of the diffusion filter, vertical barndoors, battery pack, etc. I even like the 50w/100w interchangeability when using either the battery power (50w) or AC power (100w). I am skeptical though because of the low price compared to the more frequently recommended Frezzi, NRG, and Paglight. Would I be wasting my money if I bought this light, instead of going the extra mile and buying one of the others for a whole lot more? (I am on a very low budget)
Corey Ulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have one that I've been using for about 4 years. I also have the belt pack battery for it-run about 2.5 hours with that. I made a softbox for it and it kncks down the available lighting to about 20-25W which puts it right with my Anton Bauer light but give me the 50W when I need it. Although I don't use it much anymore (I'm using the AB on my full size cam and only use it when shooting my 150s-not as often anymore) but for the money I have been very happy with the unit. The juice box it comes with will only go about 75 to 90 minutes but it works fine. Some will say don't buy unless you can buy the Frezzi or Pag but you can't spend what you don't have and frankly even when you have the money for the Frezzi or whatever you decide on, its nice to have a backup just in case. Things have a funny way of breaking when you least expect it.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Don, I probably will buy that light kit as something to start with, and maybe move up later on.
Corey Ulrich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management