DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Lights with dslr's

Looking to invest in a backup lightkit for dslr shooting. I was thinking something on a lightstand that I can move around (already have a cheetah stand). I don't know if there is anything powerful enough to use outdoors to darken the sky? Would also be using it for the first dance.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Lights with dslr's

for stills? sure. Lots of seriously grunty portable flash units. For video? Not so easy. To get enough continuous power to knock back the sun on a wideish dance shot? you are looking at hmi the size of a hyundai and the price of a ferrari.

... until led technology catches up and we all have a zillion watt leds on little hovering helicopters.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Actually there are some options, some expensive some leave something to be desired but here goes. You'll have to decide which falls into what catorgory.;-)

Tungsten light like an Anton Bauer Ultralight with an 85W bulb and daylight filter. You'll need to have at least a Dionic 90 on a backing plate with a power tap that you could put a belt clip on, and wear it and you'll need to be within about 5 feet to be effective. Frezzi has a 100W light same principle although you can fashion a battery belt like say a Bescor to work but they can be heavy to wear. Sometimes you gotta be an engineer to make stuff that will work for you.
Another option is LitePanel 1X1 which can run off a battery. It's an LED and can be gel'd for indoor use but they are not cheap. I suppose you could build an LED panel to run off battery power for less money but thats up to you. Again you need to have the light fairly close to the subject outdoors.

Other than a small generator to power a light that has some ooomph to it I think those are really about the options. Yeah there are other lights out there but honestly you need a minimum of 100W and then it's gotta be close. Watch the news guys and see what they do. On camera for daylight, CLOSE. Or they use a genny and tie into that with some sort of guttsy light.
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Have you checked out our new Comer 5500 panel light? It's half about the cost of the LitePanel 1x1 but deliver 4 to 5 times more brightness. It has variable color temperature for anything in between 3200K to 5600K. No need to use any gel.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/photon-m...nel-light.html
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Search 1200 LED panel on amazon to see the $550 model which I have. I think competes well with litepanels that cost several thousand.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Greg,

For outdoor shooting why not invest in a 4x4' reflector? One side white, one side silver. Use the sun to your advantage and direct it with the reflector. A much more simple, economical approach. Although you will need an assistant to hold it. For indoor use, I recommend a 650 or 1k tungsten unit affixed to a lightstand. Hoist it up during your dancing and you should be good to go. This is the brand I use.

Brian Tori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management