Three point lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old August 21st, 2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Three point lighting

I'm looking to purchase a set of lights for a three point lighting setup for interviews.

I'm on a tight budget, and would like to know the best deal i can get for my money.

What kind of lights should i get for the key, fill, and back lights? Also, what stands, diffusers, umbrellas, or other accessories would i need to assemble a good lighting setup at a reasonable cost?
Andrew Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Do a search on Britek lights kits and JTL. I personally use a Britek light kit and I am pretty happy with it, espescially for under 500$.

Hope this help,
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Jean-Philippe, how do you arange your kit when doing one person interviews?
Andrew Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not Jean Phillippe. But I am a lighting guy from way back. Simple 3 point lighting is a Key light placed slightly to one side of the lens, a fill light off to the other side and a back light to highlight hair and shoulders. Basic ratio is that the fill and back light should be about 1/2 as bright as the Key. This doesn't mean that if you are using a 1000 watt key, the fill and back should be 500 watts. But that by distance, spread, and/or diffusion you should make it half as bright.

Bottom line is that you do what it takes to make a good looking picture. And shadows are not your enemy, they are your friend. Shadows are what make a picture look interesting, lack of shadows looks bland. Lighting director is a misnomer, they should be called shadow directors, because that is what you want to control.
Bruce Linden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management