Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: I need a cheap light that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Larson View Post
Picked this up for Adorama camera for $79 and found it quite good for the price.

LED160 Flashpoint 160 LED Light - Dimmable- Mounts on camera shoe
It's the same exact light I bought for $29 less:

It's a good light, lots of power and good battery life, but it's too heavy and it makes it hard to keep the camera still.
Sebastian Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 12:55 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I've bought a few of the different lights - the 160 is big and clunky, but plenty of light so you use the dimmer. The CN126 version is a bit smaller, somewhat lighter, still uses various Sony and I think one Panasonic batteries, quite good for the price, and again is dimmable.

it's not much lighter, but a bit smaller (you're stuck with either AA batteries or a "rechageable" type I've not seen), the SYD 1509 has a bit more stable mount, doesn't try to get fancy with tilting or anything, so less wobble. Has a dimmer, so you have some control. No "gels" (slide in plastic filters to alter the output temp a bit) like the others I've mentioned have, but seems to have decent diffusion from the built in front panel. Around $45, 135 small LEDS. Not a "perfect" light, but seems to be a better build quality.

FWIW, my "ideal" light would be smaller, for the most part you don't need the 100+ LED arrays on full power, seems like maybe half that would be sufficient (or a small array of the larger more powerful LEDs?), run on AA, or have adapters for any of the small camera batteries (already got plenty in the bag, of say NP-FV), filters/gels would be nice, and a DIMMER is mandatory - that's the thing that seems to get left off all the "small" lights!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

Agreed!! That's why I have gravitated to the light with the 6 power leds rather than my 120 or 160 LED units! It IS a lot more compact but only can use Sony batteries!! On both the 120 and 160 lights I found that the mounting shoe was worse than useless and wobbled badly!! On both of the multi-led lights I cut off the silly plastic shoe and stem and drilled a hole in the body of the light and added a mini-ball head that has a cold shoe connector on it's base. These make the lights pretty sturdy!!!

The power LED light however does have a substantial base and doesn't need any modification!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management