DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: question for Zylight Z90 owners

I haven't noted the whine issue, but I also tend to use the Z90 as an accent light thus rarely near mikes. The IS3 doesn't whine.

The accessory holder is a little tricky to learn how to take on and off, but I rarely need to do this. Still, I haven't had a problem when I have had to remove.

Comparing the Zylight to the other units mentioned is somewhat irrelevant (in terms of the multi-colored shadows). It's an RGB LED, the others are not. They serve different purposes and have different functions--specifically, the Zylight has far more features, being able to create color washes and having adjustable control over the green/magenta spectrum, as well as remote operation of all functions. Comparing it to a 1x1 Litepanel makes no sense (more useful to do so with the Zylight IS3 as they are similar in size and function). Comparing to the Dedo Ledzilla is more sensible, but again, very different functionality.

If your requirements are an small unit that delivers 3200 or 5600 color temperature, there are numerous other options that may be better suited. If you need to be able to dial anywhere between those two, there are fewer options, but they are still out there. If you need the specific abilities of an RGB LED, then I believe the Zylight is it in this form factor.
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I actually used the original Lowel Lights (later called the K5, now the L-light) for a tricky setup in a living room that required ceiling mounted hard lights for a period look with quick rigging. We gaff-taped the plates to the ceiling and used halogen screw in bulbs. Worked great. It's in this week's "Key & Peele", I'll post a link if Comedy Central releases that sketch online.
Weird to quote myself, but here's that link: Key & Peele: Das Negros

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I use my Zylight on camera a couple inches from the on camera shotgun. The only whining I hear is from the talent because it's "Too bright". The Zylight is completely silent.

A tip, the little soft boxes from AB Ultralights fit perfectly over the barndoors on the Z90. Once I figured that out, I didn't hear any more whining.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #19
Major Player

David,

Thanks. Is this the one you mean?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/226876-REG/Anton_Bauer_UL_SOFT_BOX_UL_SB_SoftBox.html
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Yup! That's the one. I bought mine a long time ago so I forgot how expensive they were. I may have gotten it off of ebay. If you have an Ultralight already, use the softbox off of it. If you don't, It's not worth buying an expensive one made for high heat incandescent.

On a similar topic, a friend of mine went 100% LED and fluorescent last year. For diffusion, he uses regular parchment paper for baking. It's $6 a roll vs. $60
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #21
Major Player

Yes, I'd asked about parchment in a previous post. Worth experimenting with, since I already have a roll. I figured I'd try wrapping one or two layers around the barn doors
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
I actually used the original Lowel Lights (later called the K5, now the L-light) for a tricky setup in a living room that required ceiling mounted hard lights for a period look with quick rigging. We gaff-taped the plates to the ceiling and used halogen screw in bulbs. Worked great. It's in this week's "Key & Peele", I'll post a link if Comedy Central releases that sketch online.
Here's that sketch: Key & Peele: Das Negros

Old February 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #23
Major Player

Interesting, I have a Z90 on backorder. The Zylight folks tell me there's a "worldwide shortage" of the kind of LCD they use. I wonder why.
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
I haven't noted the whine issue, but I also tend to use the Z90 as an accent light thus rarely near mikes. The IS3 doesn't whine.

The accessory holder is a little tricky to learn how to take on and off, but I rarely need to do this. Still, I haven't had a problem when I have had to remove.

Comparing the Zylight to the other units mentioned is somewhat irrelevant (in terms of the multi-colored shadows). It's an RGB LED, the others are not. They serve different purposes and have different functions--specifically, the Zylight has far more features, being able to create color washes and having adjustable control over the green/magenta spectrum, as well as remote operation of all functions. Comparing it to a 1x1 Litepanel makes no sense (more useful to do so with the Zylight IS3 as they are similar in size and function). Comparing to the Dedo Ledzilla is more sensible, but again, very different functionality.

If your requirements are an small unit that delivers 3200 or 5600 color temperature, there are numerous other options that may be better suited. If you need to be able to dial anywhere between those two, there are fewer options, but they are still out there. If you need the specific abilities of an RGB LED, then I believe the Zylight is it in this form factor.
I just joined DVInfo.net and came across this and post above that links to some comments I had made elsewhere. So, I thought I'd chime in.

The thought process here was pretty simple, as a still photographer transitioning into video at a client's request, I was looking to come up with a small light kit which would allow me to film some interviews. I wasn't looking to over power ambient light but work with it. IOW, use my color meter to match my small kit to existing light in terms of color temp.

I bought the Z90's based on web reviews and it seemed like a good way to go, sort of strobist in approach (e.g. similar to using speedlites for a still portrait instead of bringing out my Profotos.)

I did have the problems I list in that post -> the high pitched whine emitted by the lights as well the accessory adapter being impossibly tight to put or take off.

I knew going in that the Z90 would probably have multicolored shadows (if used with no diffusion.)

Zylight was extremely responsive to my post and I heard from them immediately. They did say, at that time, that the accessory adapter had been recently updated to make it tighter but they might have gone too tight. I'm sure it's been fixed since then.

As far as comparing the Z90s to Litepanel 1x1s - I wasn't really doing that. After returning the Z90's I spent some time at Abel Cine's showroom and it quickly became clear to me that the 1x1's were a much better fit for me and for what I was doing. I have three 1x1's and couldn't be happier. They get a ton of use on video as well as still shoots. I've got v-mount batteries and they are great with that setup. I also cut my own filters to expand on Litepanel's tungsten & diffusion filter pack, adding primarily fluorescent greens, so I can match just about any interior light.

I can see how Z90s would be the answer in some situations.

Last edited by Jon Roemer; April 28th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Jon Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #25
Wrangler

I have a couple of 1x1's spec'd in all of my electric packages (I like the Bicolors) because they are quick, handy, small and can be battery powered.

I had a great use for the Zylights recently where I had to duplicate the look of The Bachelor, which uses splashes of deep saturated color in the background for accents. I had several RGB theatrical broad lights that we lobbed around the set but occasionally I'd need something more delicate or shapeable closer to the action and the Z90 with barndoors was very handy...I could just dial it in to exactly match the color of the theatrical units.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM   #26
Inner Circle

I just received a new Z90 from B&H and there is no whine. With the softbox on, there is no color fringing. With it off, there is fringing starting at about 24" between the subject and the surface where the shadow falls.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 06:38 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aronson View Post
Yup! That's the one. I bought mine a long time ago so I forgot how expensive they were. I may have gotten it off of ebay. If you have an Ultralight already, use the softbox off of it.
How are you attaching the Anton Bauer softbox to the Z90? I have the frame tabs stuck in the Z90 fins but that's hokey and not going to survive being mobile.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I take to fabric part of the softbox off and put it over the barndoors of the z90
Since reading this post, my z90 has started making a weird high pitched noise too. It only happens when it's plugged into my camera through a d-tap running at 14.4V. It doesn't happen when running off of external power. I'm using dionic 90s and a panisonic HPX2000. It's not very loud, but it can be heard if the light is placed near the mic.
David Aronson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management