DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to light 16 foot wide full body greenscreen w/ fluoros

I've been reading up as much as I can, but there are some conflicting accounts out there, and kits come in all flavors.

Generally, I'd like to do something like a basic 5 point setup with key and fill up front, one on either side for the screen, and a hair/backlight.

The sheer size of it all makes me think I need a bit more though... like either a very long fixture across most of the stage for the hairlight, or two fixtures. Also thinking they should maybe be pointed straight down and allowed to hit both the talent (from behind) and the screen (from in front) to even out the screen lighting since the lights on the side are 16+ feet across.

Also wondering if these sort of fixtures:

2600 Watt Softbox Lighting Kit Video Light Kit Studio Lighting Kit H9060

are going to provide enough light with only 5 points. I could either get more powerful fixtures like diva style t5's in banks of 6 (much more expensive) or... just add some more points (cheaper)

If it's not enough light, would it be ok since I want very soft, diffuse, even light anyway to just add some more points... like one key and fill fairly forward, and another set way off to the side?

Overall, I'm thinking along the lines of two hairlights on booms that also hit the back screen, and help eliminate shadows, two for the sides of the screen, two fill lights to the sides and barely in front of the talent, and a key and fill out front just pulled in slightly toward center because of the other two.

Could really use some advice. This is my first time ever setting up lights, and this is what I have been able to come up with, but still very unsure as to whether back ones shouldhave barn doors, if I'm ok with all softboxes, etc.

Not trying to match any lighting in background images. Doing cartoonish music videos and want just smooth even light.

thx.
Greg Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to light 16 foot wide full body greenscreen w/ fluoros

If this is your first time, I would recommend hiring a experienced pro with their own lighting gear. Learn from them while you help with the setup. Unless you do these regularly, you're talking about a large equipment expense, and time spent with trial and error. Software has improved, but starting with a clean key will save you from kicking yourself in post.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: How to light 16 foot wide full body greenscreen w/ fluoros

Sound advice, I'm sure.

Yes, it is my first time, but I do have a few things helping me. First is research. I'm asking a lot of questions, watching dozens of tutorials, etc... my motto has always been that it's best to learn from other people's mistakes.

Second, I have some friends that do pro video an/or lighting in various capacities, so I can get some feedback there. (Actually, I have two friends that are LD's.)

None of them do much with greenscreen, but they can certainly keep me on track in general.

Like the camera. I did a good amount of research before getting it. While the GH2 won't give me 4:2:2, I'm confident it will do well enough in other ways at a reasonable cost for my uses.

Likewise, I've done a bunch of research already, and am asking a friend who teaches cinema lighting questions on the side, but thought I'd ask here to really drill down on the logistics for a large greenscreen since he doesn't really do that specifically. Actually, my perfectly even super soft light I'm looking for is the kind of thing he'd usually be trying to avoid as it's unrealistic.

Just looking for some bread and butter advice from people who do lots of greenscreens and have experimented enough to know what does and doesn't work best in terms of types of fluoros, barndoor type vs softboxes for different lights, etc.

In other words, if you were going to light a 16 foot wide full body greenscreen using all fluoros, how would you do it?
Greg Stout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management