Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 5th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Lighting- international voltage differences

Hi all,

Lighting seems to be quite expensive to purchase here in Australia, so I'm thinking of importing from the U.S.

Lowel's models (e.g the Omni Light) appear to be both 120v and 220/240v compatible.

Is it simply a matter of switching the light to 220/240v mode and using a power cable with an Australian-style plug (and if so, is it a generic type of cable)? Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks,

-Bon
Bon Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #2
New Boot

I bought some Lowel Omni's second hand and brought them to Kenya, which uses 220/240V. I had to replace the 120V lamps that came with the Omni's with 220/240V versions. The other alternative is to get an external voltage converter but they are heavy and a bit expensive.

Hope that helps.

Donald
Donald Giesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the response. By "lamps," you mean you had to simply replace the bulbs?

Cheers,

-Bon
Bon Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes that is what he means, bulbs.

I have also bought some Britek lights from the US and changed the globes for 220/240V versions. What you need to check for is :

1. The light/lamp is designed for dual voltage ie. 220 & 110V. Most lamps have this information silk screened on them or easily found in the manufacturers specs.

2. Make sure you buy the correct 220/240V globes for the lamp. If the lamp supports 220/240V globes then this will also normally be imprinted on the lamp somewhere, or in a spec sheet.

I have a couple of Britek lights and the globes that it supports are silk screened on the lamp itself. One of my Britek's supports three globes one 220V, the other two are 110V at different wattages. One thing that I have noticed, the 220V globe that is supported is normally a different wattage to the 110V eg. the 110V globe is 600W, and the 220/240V globe is 800W.

Cheers

Robert

Last edited by Robert Double; September 8th, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
Robert Double is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management