Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: 800w Redheads, cheap set

hi brian

yes that is a problem but i guess they were invented before chimeras.

new fibre washers on the tightening side will probably help.

i have also put tightening knobs on both sides on some lights, that stops the thing drooping.

cheers
Ian Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:52 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I buy quite a lot of Chinese kit and here in the UK, everyone is well informed on electrical safety - so testing kit is often available. Some items fail the test just by looking at it. Seeing rubber cable with 2 core in big letters does make you think - but swapping it out and doing the metal part bonding isn't that hard if you know what you're doing - and then the tester has no problem generating a pass. Over the years I've had some of the Arri style fresnels that had the same problem, but my latest batch of these all passed the test and had decent internal wiring. For somebody who doesn't intend them to have heavy use, is it good business sense to pay for kit of Ianiro quality - as lifespan may be unimportant? A chinese kit that may be scrapped in a year or two could be very sensible in terms of value for money - as long as you know the potential hazards.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM   #18
Contributor

I used Ianiro Redheads years ago and loved them. I have also used a set of the Chinese knockoffs that belonged to someone else. They were not badly built and had been in use for over a year with no problems. I thought the housings got hotter than the real Redheads, but other than that they were OK. The wiring was heavy duty, grounded plugs. There are different versions, so it might depend on who you buy from whether you get a decent set.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM   #19
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
IA chinese kit that may be scrapped in a year or two could be very sensible in terms of value for money - as long as you know the potential hazards.
Scrap your lights in a year or two? I really disagree with that advice. Cameras come and go pretty fast these days, but lights, grip equipment, audio gear, tripods, etc. should last a decade or two. Lights should not be viewed as expendables. I have lights I use regularly that are more than 15 years old and still going strong. I have mics that are over 20 years old, and my tripod/head which cost $8500 14 years ago is still serving me well.

If you're in this business for the long haul. plan for the future and not just your immediate needs. Buy quality and you'll look more professional, enjoy your job more, save money in the long run, and won't burn down somebody's house when the lights short out and catch fire. It's just not worth it to go cheap. Not once in my entire 30+ year career have I regretted buying the best I could afford, but I've regretted several times going cheap.
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #20
Inner Circle

You didn't see the reasoning. I have some kit in almost daily use that was made in 1965. No issue whatsoever with that, but equally, I have bought items for specific purposes that maybe get used just a few times, and then become obsolete. If I know this is going to happen, it is foolhardy to invest in long lifespan, high ticket price kit. My accountant would agree. With technical equipment getting cleverer all the time, it's better to hire in items for one offs - but with Chinese cheap kit, it is possible to use a purchase model that makes it the best choice - no issues at all. I have a dozen LED par cans sitting in the store - that this year, based on what I have on paper, will be in use for maybe 30 days. Last year they did 40 days. They cost me £25ish each, and hire charges would have made hire uneconomic. To buy quality ones, where perhaps all 12 would work - I'm actually down to 10 that are 100%, would have cost me nearly 8 times the amount, and would not yet be paid for. My cheap stuff is paid for, and now costs me nothing - in fact, saving me money.

Everyday items I consider to be worth buying as branded quality products. Occasional use kit should be hired in or bought cheap, as each situation arises. Maybe my particular area is a bit different - many of my lx items are for effects, essentially eye candy - but nowadays the 'buy quality' business model is not the only viable one.

If I scrap equipment after two years that is paid for, it works for me, because I can keep up as technology progresses. If you buy quality, and take a few years to recover the expenditure you cannot then keep up. Like it or not, but grip kit is also moving forward. I've no problem with using very old supports because they are heavy metal and well engineered, but the things I stick on them are moving on.

As we start to consider LED kit, then lifespan is going to be tiny, compared with our old stuff. Time to move onwards, I feel.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #21
Vortex Media

Paul, I understand your reasoning, I'm just saying I still don't agree with it. I don't know why you think your LED lights are going to be worthless in a couple of years. I've invested in some very nice Litepanels instruments that I expect to give me solid ROI for the next 10 years or more. The lifespan is NOT tiny compare to old stuff. It doesn't matter what technology is just around the corner or what happens with pricing, those lights are rock solid good workhorses that will be serving me well for many many years. Nothing I buy is expendable no matter how cheap, except for gaffer tape and black wrap.

BTW, I don't see anything in your earlier posts that says you are talking about specialty lights that might only get used only a handful of times. As far as we know, you're talking about lights you use every day.

If your way works for you, that is great, but I just thought I'd throw out an alternative way of running a business just so people don't think that's the only way of doing it. In fact, I don't know anyone else who buys lights and expects to only use them for a couple of years. Two different ways of running a business.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

great discussion guys

i have no problem with buying lower cost gear, my argument would be that
the gear is reliable, built to some sort of standard and more importantly safe to use.

i think the market the knockoffs are targeted to are driven by price not quality.

as a professional when i pull a light out of the truck it has to work, i dont need everybody
standing around ready to shoot while i tighten up screws and muck around with
the light trying to figure out why it is not working.

cheers
Ian Dart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management