What's the best simple lighting gear for a single person doing run n' gun filming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the best simple lighting gear for a single person doing run n' gun filming?

I'm starting a project next year where I'll often be traveling by myself, doing sound and image on my shoots. I want a few simple lights to carry around. Given space concerns, I'd want them to be versatile and smallish.

I have no idea where to start about a basic traveling kit. I realize this is somewhat vague but I'm just trying to get some ideas at this point. So, any thoughts here are appreciated.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What's the best simple lighting gear for a single person doing run n' gun filming

Hi, Noam.............

You could do worse than get a few of these (or similar) and rig them with the gruntiest CFL's you can source:

Designers Edge 8.5 In. Incandescent Clamp Light Remodelista

Cheap, light, self contained and will glom onto just about anything.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: What's the best simple lighting gear for a single person doing run n' gun filming

I use this kit: GO Jet Set Kit

It's been pretty reliable. Small enough to take just about anywhere, professional enough to use with any client without embarrassment. Fairly light weight, I've packed the pieces in a suitcase and flown with it, taken it on the train, and lugged it all over.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Schlepping gear around by yourself and staying in the baggage limits of airlines takes planning. I don't know how much you want to spend but battery powered LED are as compact as it gets. I used a Matthews travel stand, a LEDzilla powered by SWIT 8U62 batteries using the D-TAP cable and a reflector. You'll need more light for full indoor shooting. The Lite Panels Sola 3 may be a solution for you as it packs a lot of lumens per cubic inch of space.

The LEDzilla can be camera mounted but doesn't mount to the Matthews stand without modification. I solved that by adding a shoe to the stand. I like the Matthews stand because of it's build quality and use of standard hardware for field repairs (which, pleasantly, I haven't had to do yet).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/502683-REG/Matthews_B387486_Reverse_Stand_7.html
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Major Player

What will you be shooting? Single person interviews? Lighting a room? Car interiors? Outdoor interviews. There are as many lights as there are scenarios. Without knowing the scope of your project, and how sensitive your camera is, I wouldn't run out an buy any type of kit.
If you'll be in a foreign country, then there are even more variables to consider.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have 1 Litepanels 1x1 and 2 zylight z90s. I never leave home without them. It's expensive as hell, but with a couple of batteries, they last for an entire shooting day with no heat and can be controlled to match their environment perfectly.
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm a Comer LED Light reseller but I also use Comer 1800 for on-camera at weddings.

Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light (Sony Battery) | L.A. Color Online)
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Oren - your question is spot on.

I want it to be versatile, to be useable for interviews, both of persons and individuals. I'm doing a project with lots of road travel and I will have very little space so I'm thinking I want stuff that's battery powered (since outlets will not always be available). i also think I'd want the ability to switch between different colors. I'll be using a Panasonic HMC-150 and Panasonic GH2. With that in mind, any ideas?
Old June 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm still unsure what camera you're shooting with. A 5DMkIII or FS-100 will have much better sensitivity and cleaner images at high ISO than most other cameras. This means you can get away with fewer lumens (and a smaller/lighter kit overall). If your native ISO is around 400, you're going to 'need more power' to generalize.
What is your budget? LED lights would probably suit your needs for a travel worthy-battery powerable kit, but at double or triple the price of tungsten options.

A super light-weight solution (for sensitive cameras) would be the on-camera LED lights. Using them off-camera on stands and with some diffusion can yield decent results at a reasonable cost. Don't expect great throw (once diffused) or accurate colors (especially with the Chinese knock-off brands). If I needed a 'one-backpack' solution, that would be my go-to option.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Trustee

for the travel three of these, three of these, batteries and gells for different color temp. and color, for about $200 you'll get nice, under 10Lb mobile setup, i use them on every shot,
light, cheap, very bright, dimmable, over two hrs on one NP F730, and btw, very durable, i drop em all the time, lots of dings and scratches :), not a single failure;
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Vortex Media

You know what's missing from this thread? Examples.
I can tell you that I spent $1.98 on lighting and get great results, but unless I show you a few examples, how do you know that my standards of lighting will meet your standards? There is an awful lot of bad lighting being done out there, and quite often the person doing it doesn't even know how bad it is. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm not saying good lighting can't be done on a budget, I'm just saying you better ask to see some examples of what someone thinks is good lighting before you take their advice on what equipment to use. Bad production is all around us, even on network television.

For a professional, a decent set of lights, stands, and grip accessories are tools that should last you for years and years. Invest in quality and you will enjoy your job more, get better results, look more professional to clients and colleagues, and not waste money on replacing crap that falls apart or can't get the job done right in the first place.
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Dedolight travel kit - hands down.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
You know what's missing from this thread? Examples.
I can tell you that I spent $1.98 on lighting and get great results
oh yes, but don't forget - great results for $1.98
because you ALWAYS get what you pay for :)
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The lighting gear I want is going to be used mostly for lighting interviews for documentary film when I'm in a pinch. That being the case, I think what I want to do is get two LED lights, something like the Switronix 200w or a Vidpro, to go along with the Comer 1800 I have. I feel like this gives me a chance to have something portable that can give me some lighting options for dark interviews.

Thoughts on this?
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Major Player

I would recommend picking up one of Doug's excellent lighting tutorials via Vortex Media. It will give you some solid tips that will save you money in the long run, and give you great looking interviews.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management