DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Homemade scrim--done!

It took a bit longer than expected, but I was finally able to complete my 4'x4' scrim/flag frame and fabrics. Wanting to save money over the road rag options meant getting a bit of help with the sewing. Frame was easy, square tubing, right angle connectors and flip-flop ear connectors. Fabric was sourced from my local fabric store. Stretchy white fabric works great, but is much more difficult to attach than standard (non-stretchy) muslin. I also bought some heavy black cloth for the flag. Finding a good seamstress was key, as was finding a good glue that would work with aluminum and velcro.

Huge thanks goes out to the DIY tutorial by Ryan Walters: Tutorials & Tips From Ryan E. Walters

Before/after results can be seen in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade scrim--done!-scrim-collage.jpg  
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Homemade scrim--done!

Great job. DIY can save a lot of money plus you can make it custom for your needs.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Tim. I do have a better appreciation or Scrim Jim's (and the like), as quality work and materials are not cheap.
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Your right, this space is a bit expensive. I made a 4x4 overhead butterfly for outdoor interviews out of PVC and sheer fabric from Joanne Fabrics for about $10 excluding the $30 clamp. It is not as good looking as yours but I like how I can tear it down easily and fit it into a small diameter soft case.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good job Oren, we rent the same size here watching out for any wind gusts, they can startle the talent and get you some expletives :)

We also note Ryan advises '** I DO NOT recommend building anything larger then an 8x8 frame using this method. If you need a larger frame,
rent or buy the real thing. If you build anything larger then an 8x8 frame, there is a good possibility that it will not be structurally safe'

Cheers.
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the advice Allan. I don't plan on going larger than 4x4. For my needs, that is just fine. For windier conditions, I would probably use a 2nd C-stand or figure out an alternative. Audio is a pain during windy conditions anyway.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
DVi Contributor

That looks really good.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Nice! Can you tell us how much you spent on material and how that compares to purchasing the same size one ready made?
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Major Player

I cut the cost down a bit by ordering enough material for 2 frames, on which went to my colleague. This cut the shipping fees down by 1/2. I would have to look back through my invoices, but I believe the material costs came in at around $140, including white fabric and black fabric,
$60 for frame tubes and connectors.
$45 for flip-flop ears (you can get away with using one when there is no wind).
$15 fabric
$20 sew-on velcro (20 yards worth). A friend did the sewing for me.

A smaller 42"x42" Wescott Scrim Jim kit runs $218 at B&H
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Trustee

you can buy REAL 1X1 1/8" wall aluminum tube at a local metal supplier. they will cut to length. cost is about .50/ft or $8 to have the real stuff. haven't found a cheap source of corners yet that are metal & like the matthews which are wildly over priced when you need a couple sets. their ears are garbage for what they charge.
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Nice. I did a project a while that involved me paying $40 to a seamstress to sew about 3 yards of velcro onto a garmet. I wouldn't be surprised if paying minimum wage for the sewing would easily bring the cost back up to that of the commercial product.

>$20 sew-on velcro (20 yards worth). A friend did the sewing for me.
Tom Morrow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management