DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 11th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Came-TV High CRI Lights

I just received a set of two 1024 Bi-Color High CRI lights from Came-TV. These have been getting some good reviews online and the price was right so I decided to take the plunge. Turns out one of them is defective (three of the tungsten light banks do not light up and one is brighter than the others).

I have an e-mail out to the company and will report back how they solve this issue. What worries me is that the online policy states that they will replace defective units but the Customer is responsible for returning the item. If they need to be returned to China Fed Ex is quoting me almost $200. Perhaps this was not such a great deal after all.

I'm also wondering how long the other unit will last considering this type of quality control.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/members/...tive-light.jpg
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Came-TV High CRI Lights

Dylan Couper, a DVInfo moderator, has significant experience with CAME. I'll see if I can get him to chime in here.
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hey Marc
As Shaun said, I have a lot of experience buying gear from Came and other Asian low cost companies. Partially because I like torturing myself. Partially because you find gems.

I believe I have the same panels as you do. Neither myself nor Shaun thought the light output was very good, and I doubt the actual CRI is anywhere near what most of us would consider "high". Still very good value for the dollar either way, so I've never really complained about it.

Came has always been good communicating with me when I've had issues with their stuff, so you should have no problem there. In my opinion, your best course would be to ask for a 50% discount off another light instead of swapping that one back to them. That way no one wastes money on shipping, they don't lose any and since you're spending at least $200 anyway, you might as well use it to get another light.

Just my two cents.
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dylan and Shaun for the responses. So are the reviews online not accurate? In one review I watched the guy claimed he measured 93 CRI on the same light (in the comments section) and that the output was much higher than the Lite Panels that I cannot afford.

Old June 12th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Wrangler

It's hard to say what "actual" emitters your getting from anyone these days. I've gone to manufacturers with "high CRI" claimed emitters and they admitted they were 80 while their sales people told me 95. Not these particular lights, but just pointing out that you should take all claims with a grain of salt. So your mileage may vary. As far as sellers go, Came does have a good rep.

And of course, CRI isn't everything. At the end of they day, if they look good, they look. And for the price we're talking, none of us can really complain (as long as they work of course, ha!)

Oh and when I said Shaun and I weren't overly impressed with them, we're somewhat notoriously hard to impress. :)
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Got it, thanks Dylan.

Here is the reply from Came-TV below. Note: I tested it with the included power supply so it's not a battery issue. What gets me is why did they not test the light before they shipped it to me? So I guess I'm destined to become an LED repair technician... LOL.

Hello Marc,

Thanks for your photo. Could you please tell us if you use it with the battery or Alternating Current? If you use it with battery, our technician told me it probably due to the low battery. Could you please also retry it with Alternating Current?

If it still has problem when you use it with Alternating Current, then it's the problem of the circuit board, and we will resend the circuit board to you for replacement.

Awaiting your kindly reply.
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Virtually no manufacturer would test a high production item like an LED light if they were chasing the budget market.

I'm TOLD that my Dracast LED lights are individually balanced and there is a premium in price that goes along with that, although still less than say Lightpanels.

You can't have it both ways.
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Interesting. I would think that taking 2 minutes to test a $500 light before shipping it to another country would be a no brainer but perhaps that's why I'm not an LED manufacturer. According to their latest e-mail however they do test them:

Hello Marc,

Thanks for your email again, we did test it before shipping, but sometimes the circuit board connection probably will loose during shipping.

We will send the new circuit board to you for replacement, then it will be working.

And our light quality is good.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Marc Salvatore; June 12th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #9
Wrangler

This is a pretty typical response when dealing with overseas suppliers. Usually they'll ask for a video showing the problem, hoping you never get around to doing it (which actually works with me a lot). Came is pretty reliable for help as far as these companies go so I would be satisfied with their response.

FWIW, the result of low power from a battery on an LED panel is not individual banks dropping out, it's strobing in the output. Not sure where the technician got that from.

Also, I'd pretty much guaranteed that all these lights are tested... on the assembly line in the factory. Before shipping to the wholesaler. Before shipping to you. Plenty of time for stuff to go wrong. But they probably don't do that at Lowel, Arri or Litepanels either, so in this price bracket we really can't complain too much.
Old June 13th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #10
Major Player

Fair enough, as long as I can get it working and the light lasts a while I'll be happy. The light throw is more than I expected. I would prefer metal casing over plastic but as you said at this price you can only expect so much.
Old June 15th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Tourist

Compared to a conventional redhead, how good is the light throw? Also are the 900led panels by the same company different from this? (except the extra leds of course :P )
Georgios Logothetis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #12
Wrangler

LED panels will be very different from redheads in terms of the throw and many other factors. Hard to say one is better or worse as it is apples to oranges.

The 900LEDS, IIRC, don't have the LCD panel on the back, but I believe run the same emitters. IMHO, the 900's are worth the price savings.

Despite any criticisms I may have, I think these are great value for the dollar, and I've bought from almost every Asian seller - Came have been one of the easiest to deal with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management