DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Guidance for Light Modification

Lighting for photography and video is a very broad topic. I have studied general topics about lighting but I am still not very much aware about lighting modification. I am still lacking behind and have no good idea about gel frames, reflectors, light scrims, butterfly, flags, etc.
Are there any online tutorials and complete guidance for lighting modification?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Guidance for Light Modification

Any Reply......
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

I don't know about modification, but Vortex Media have a great video on lighting for interviews. Might as well start there.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think you just invented a new descriptor - Lighting Modifcation. Never heard what you describe as that!

In general, all that lot appear in the accessories section of the products.

There really isn't much to learn, because they're mainly just tools. Many are just too basic for people to talk about. Like gel frames - they really fall into two main types - those that let you slip the gel in easily and those that don't. The little fiddles are what matters. Some can be better used as a restrictor - allowing you to drop a loose sheet of gel behind them, in the runners, just stopping the loose gel falling out. Other designs, like some PAR64s, let you use a badly cut, i.e far too big, but of gel to be crunched up and folded under the spring clip - to save time. Bad practice really, but it works. Scrims, as you probably know are just ways of dropping the light output without changing colour temp, or using ND gel which bleaches out rapidly. Just lots of bits of wire in between lamp and subject - the more wires, the less light. The only thing to remember is that they get amazingly hot, and burn like mad when brand new, until they've gone black and any oil on them to keep them from going rusty, has gone. There are also half scrims - just had the opening has the mesh - so in something like a redhead or blond, you can dim some of the beam, handy in an interview where the subject is closer to the camera than the other person, or the background. Tons of stuff on butterfly lighting on Google, so I won't bother with that one.

Flags, on short arms can just stop bits of the beam landing where you don't want them - as simple as that.

In most cases, these are problem solvers rather than techniques in their own right, so people don't really do tutorials on them. You just need to consider what they do, and use them when needed.

In fact, the best gizmo for me is black wrap - aluminium foil, but black. You can use it for so many things - flags, heat protection and lots of other uses.

You probably also need to do some research on gobos, top hats, spill rings, and of course the different forms of fixtures - floods, profiles (Ellipsoidals in the US), wash, beam etc etc. Even older techniques still have the occasional use - like Linnebach projectors. Plenty of stuff on the net, even more in books!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management