DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 15th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Copper Coat

We bought some inexpensive Fresnel lights a while ago, and they look great. The one problem that we've had is with the electrical connection from the lamp socket to the lamp. Turn the light on and it works great all day. Turn it off for a break, let it cool, and turn it back on and it might not fire. This really sucks when you have cast and crew ready to go!

The first time this happened, we replaced the bulb and it still didn't fire. We checked the connections and figured that the switch might have gone bad. We removed the bum light and shot a different scene.

Later that day I figured that it might be a bad connection from fixture to lamp. Fortunately, I had some copper coat, painted it on the bulb leads, inserted the bulb, and we were back in business.

Copper coat is used on automotive head gaskets. There is a spray and a liquid version. For this application, you want liquid. You have to stir it up well to get the copper into the liquid. After painting it on, it's a bit tacky, but it doesn't act as an adhesive and the copper slurry fills the gaps with conductive goodness.

Napa Auto Parts isn't a sponsor here, but it's probably okay if I provide this link:
NAPA AUTO PARTS

If you want to add this to your kit, I'd recommend keeping it in a plastic bag as you don't want slop on the lip of the can polluting your grip bag. You might want to bring disposable gloves for the rare time you'd need to use it.

So copper coat is one solution. I think it's better than sanding connectors as that can expose the metal to air and cause corrosion.

Are there better (less sticky and messy) solutions out there for our lighting kits? (Note that when applied properly, it stays put and doesn't run or cause problems, but the process of applying it could get messy.)
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Copper Coat

This is an interesting solution! I've always cleaned my contacts with very fine sandpaper, but eventually it begins pitting when it arcs. Thanks for sharing!
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Copper Coat

BTW, the can that I have has an applicator attached to the inside of the lid. It's a solid wire with a soft ball at the bottom. The ball is a bit big for this as head gaskets are much bigger than lamp pins! A cotton swab would likely be more appropriate, but you'd want another baggie to dispose the swab in after use.

That's the biggest problem with this solution - keeping the copper coat from acting like the pink mess in Cat in the Hat Comes Back!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management