Buying extra lights + diffusers/softboxes for interviews? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #1
Tourist

Buying extra lights + diffusers/softboxes for interviews?

Hi there,

I have to do a lot of interviews at my job during the next months, and therefore need to buy some lights. I have to do both one and two person interviews, probably with white/grey backdrop. But my knowledge about is quite scanty. I guess I need lights for a three point setup, and maybe some light for the backdrop as well.

I already have two Lupoled 560 LED panels + some old spots. But that's all.

Can anyone reccomend what would be smart to buy? I'm think about:

- More LED Panels? (hair light + background light). Or should I be okay using my old spots (they seem very intensive compared to the LED panels

- Would it be smart to get some diffusers or softboxes? I'm especially thinking about the LED's being reflected in the people's glasses

Thank you!
Nikolaj
Nikolaj Mikkelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Buying extra lights + diffusers/softboxes for interviews?

Nikolaj: I'm a big fan of soft boxes for the main key in lighting interviews, especially a soft box with some kind of grid or flagging to keep the light from spilling all over the set. I haven't used LEDs that much, but it seems to me the general consensus is that it is less effective to put an LED inside a soft box than a hard source like an HMI or Tungsten bulb.

If you haven't viewed it already, I would suggest getting Doug Jensen's "Lighting with LEDs" instructional DVD to get some great ideas.

Regarding glasses...reflections are an issue, no matter what kind of light you use. In general, the more reflective the lenses in the subject's glasses, the more off to the side the key light needs to be. Also, going higher than normal with the key can often help. However; extreme key angles mean you've got to spend more time with fill lights from the off side of the key, to help with harsher nose shadows, shadows under the eyes and chin, etc.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management