DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old October 10th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Trustee

1x1 LEDs - how many batteries?

I've been using 1x1 LED panels for maybe 5 years now... the A/C plug-in type. Which was never a problem.

Earlier this year I shot a tradeshow, and declared I was not going to go hunting for A/C power in a 100,000 square foot facility, and I was not going to have crappy on-cam lighting, so I bought two 1x1 LED's and two v-mount batteries. I was in love.

I've been using the v-mounts for six months now and never realized the flexibility battery power would give me. 2.5 hours on a charge - longer if you dim it down a bit.

I'm looking at buying a third light, and buying a battery to go with it. I'm compelled to buy a 2nd set of batteries so I can go more than 2.5 hours without hunting for outlets. The v-mounts are $250/ea and would total $750+ for the set.

Curious for those of you using LEDs via battery power, how many sets of batteries you have?
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: 1x1 LEDs - how many batteries?

I don't look at it as "sets of batteries". I just have a bag full of v-mount batteries and I use them as needed.

All of my lighting (Litepanels 1x1s and various fresnels models), cameras (F55, FS7), monitors (17" OLED), Odyssey recorder, Leader WFM, audio mixers, etc. run from the same type of v-mount battery. I carry about a dozen batteries at a time with a portable charger that I can plug in when the situation allows. I have never run out of power on a shoot and I rarely ever plug anything into a wall outlet anymore. FREEDOM!!!
Old October 16th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: 1x1 LEDs - how many batteries?

I bought two for each. I guess there's always shore power as backup. ;-)
Mike Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management