DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 4th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Vortex Media

Amazing deal on Litepanels Croma

I happened to notice that B&H has Litepanels Croma lights on sale for $189 today. That is an amazing price considering they are usually almost $600. I love these lights and own four of them already plus four of the similar Luma model. Great light if you are in the need for something like this. I use three of them in a very compact run & gun light kit that fits in a pretty small Pelican.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827122-REG/Litepanels_905_4023_Croma_On_Camera_LED_Light.html
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Amazing deal on Litepanels Croma

I saw that this morning and ordered two. I have Luma, so, I too, have a small travel, light kit.

Doug, does the Croma have the same shut down due to heating problem as the Luma?
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Vortex Media

I wasn't aware that either one had a shutdown problem for heat or anything else. None of mine have ever shutdown automatically. How often has that happened to you?

I will say that sometimes the AA batteries and contacts need to me tinkered with to get power when you first turn it on. But once it is running it runs fine.
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Major Player

If I run the LUMA at 100% it will shut down within 10 minutes and require a couple minutes to cool down. It came with a disclaimer in the package, warning of the problem. I will scan it and post it Sunday.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Major Player

My Croma seems to eat batteries fairly quickly at full impulse power, and often has to be opened and the batteries rolled around on the contacts when it starts to flicker. Sometimes this gives significant extra burn time, sometimes it doesn't.

But I love the light output and ability to cram it into small spaces.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #6
Major Player

I used one of these for the first time last week. Loved the light output but 6AA batteries starts to add up quick. I went through 24 of em in 3 days.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Looks like the price went up to 349.00US since December 4.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 06:33 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Koha View Post
I used one of these for the first time last week. Loved the light output but 6AA batteries starts to add up quick. I went through 24 of em in 3 days.
You have to use rechargeable batteries. I use standard consumer AA Energizers from Walmart that come with chargers. A set of six will run a Croma at full power for about 2 hours. I carry 30 of them because I have so many Cromas and Lumas in my kit. Some of the batteries are 3 years old and still going strong. The only downside is that they take several hours to charge. I carry a couple packs of non-rechargables as a backup but I have never had to crack them open.
Old December 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Yep, saw this too late. We should have a running 'latest deals' thread I know I started a black Friday thread.
Old December 21st, 2015, 11:09 PM   #10
Major Player

OH WOW!!!
Got one of my new Croma's out to play with the other day... I am sold on bi-color LED lights!
My 1x1s and ENG are all daylight, and there are some situations where I struggle to get a good skintone white balance.
These little Cromas really do a nice job ob warning up the skintones.
I cannot wait to use them on my next interview.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management