DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 8th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Trustee

Core TorchLED Bolt 250W

Just received mine from B&H...15 minutes later, it is boxed back up for return. Just going to copy and paste what I wrote on my B&H review, so other might avoid purchasing something with the wrong specs. If there were a way to gel this LED (it's on the pink side) or not have the diffuser fall off and get lost, I would have kept the little guy.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...era_light.html

I just turned on my 250 for the first time, and was extremely disappointed to find that it is not a flood, but in fact, a SPOT light. I would estimate it is roughly a 30 degree spot beam, which explains the photometrics. Yes, there is a diffuser for wide angle shooting, but once you put that on, you are down to roughly 900 lux at 1m. I tested this side by side against a 312DS, and with the diffuser, this TorchLED was a stop less intense. The 312DS is rated at only 1800 lux at 1m. The other thing to note on this LED, is that at no point can you achieve maximum luminance from the 3200k and 5600k LED's at the same time, as the 3200's come up, the 5600's come down. The 3200k setting on this LED whites out to roughly 2300k on my Sony XDCAM. The build quality is aluminum, but the magnets that hold the diffuser on are not strong at all. I cannot see using this in the field without the diffuser brushing off against clothing or such, and rendering the LED as spot only. That being said, this light would best be considered by someone looking at the Comer 1800. This light is smaller, lighter, and has better spot and wide angle than the Comer, even with the condensor lens trick. It also uses less power. I do stand behind the false advertising headline, as I purchased this specifically on the sales specs of 2400 lux @ 1m @ 3200k. Nowhere on the net does this company state it is a spot. Very disappointed.
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Core TorchLED Bolt 250W

Wow, I almost bought the same light tonight, glad I came across your comment. Thanks for the feedback. I will NOT be buying one. It did seem a bit too good to be true. I knew it was a spot light, I read up on it elsewhere but the whole diffuser thing and the weird color temp thing just sounds like a PITA to deal with. Pass.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Yeah, so sad...it is super tiny and lightweight. I was going to try it out by hanging the diffuser off the bottom by the magnets, but then I realized, this is a 30 degree 120 degree switchable light, and at 120 degrees it is useless, and 30 degrees is only good for maximum telephoto...ugh. :(

Paul
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I am still looking for my ideal bi color LED small battery or AC powered backlight/background light/hair light that can double as a good on camera light. Let me know if you find anything in your travels. It really needs to be small and light, have barn doors, able to be ran off of AC or battery, have decent CRI and not cost a fortune. Someone mentioned they have a Cineroid L10C-VCE (What an awful name for a brand, it's like Cinematic Hemorrhoids?)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...led_light.html
It obviously has much less output than the Torch, but what makes me curious is I cannot locate one review, YouTube video or person using it who has written about what it's like? Supposedly good CRI, and it looks like a different kind of LED technology? It doesn't have barn doors though, which you kind of want to cut patterns on a wall or flag of lens reflections when used as a backlight. I am intrigued but I don't want to spend $200.00 and not have it meet expectations and have to send it back.

I was also interested in the Yongnuo YN-216. The features are great and Caleb Pike, the DSLR Shooter guy on YouTube included it in his LED roundup video, ton of output, etc. and it almost costs nothing. But I read some feedback that it has a fan and pretty loud one at that. So that rules that one out. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...deo_light.html

Anyone else have a small, affordable bi-color LED with barndoors that is AC/DC, well built, quiet? Needs to be fairly small and light. Tons of small on camera panels out there but panels aren't exactly great for cutting patterns or for a backlight, they spill everywhere.
Old March 9th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Not sure if you've seen this. But it might give you a few ideas.
https://youtu.be/AcBb-MInwBc?list=WL
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Trustee

I've yet to find anything that can match the power output and color consistency of my $150 312DS LED...I just wish it were the size of the TorchLED! I think the Torch may also be one of those green at 3200k, magenta at 5600k products...which ads another layer of issues to it. That 312DS needs 1 flap of 1/4 green gel and it's happy at any temp, centered on the vectorscope.

Paul
Old March 13th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Not sure if you've seen this. But it might give you a few ideas.
https://youtu.be/AcBb-MInwBc?list=WL
Yes, I did see Caleb's well made video. But I really need barndoors on a back light, cheek slash light and the only one of those that had them that was physically small was the Yongnuo YN216 with the relatively loud fan.
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Major Player

I really smile when they rate a light at 250W equivalent yet it only consumes 13 watts.
LED's although efficient in energy ( watts) to lumen output, they are only at best 5X their equivalency in lumen output compared to the good old filament tungsten bulb.A 100 ordinary kitchen bulb emits about 1800 lumens of light so a 250 watt bulb emits approx 4,500 lumens.
The best a led can muster is about 120 lumens per watt, and that what is now available. So if that 13 watt consumption rating on that light is true ( actually there is a loss due to circuitry, led driver efficiency, wiring, etc of say around 10%, but we'll discount that for now) , then that 13watts X 120 lumens per watt = 1,560lumens which is below that 100 watt bulb. If one does consider that 10% loss then it is around a 60 watt filament bulb.
So if you take that 5X efficiency factor and X by 13 watt consumption, then the led light is not far off from that good ol' 60 watt bulb. Big difference from the rated equivalency of a 250 watter,
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Trustee

Reminder, it is only bright when those 60 watts of halogen equivalent are magnified with the array of reflector dishes...like rating a laser beam the same intensity as the sun. :-)

Paul
Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes, agreed. Even a 20 watt consumption LED emitter, such as the Cree XHP-50 when placed in a narrow beam reflector or TIR ( total internal reflection) optic will project an extremely bright narrow beam. Angle of projection is the determining factor of how bright ( LUX value ) is at a given distance. I can easily point my 20 watt XHP-50 single led 6 degrees narrow beam flashlight on a barn door and that door 200 feet away will be a lot brighter than a 1000 watt halogen with a 45 degree beam angle reflector at the same distance. It is meaningless to say a light is equivalent to a so and so watts and one has to really measure apples to apples. And that yardstick of measurement has 3 variables to consider. Angle of beam, Distance, and LUX value at that distance. A light having a lux rating of 3000 at a distance of 3 metres with a beam angle of 45 degrees is indeed a bright light. But then again, they can slap whatever specs they want on the box.
Arthur Gannis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management