DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 4th, 2022, 01:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does aputure light run hot?

I have an aputure 200x that seems to generates a lot of heat at max output.

I have another light, jinbei 150D that seems to generates a lot less heat. Yes this light is 50W less but the heat that comes out of the aputure seems to be several times put out by this jinbei.

This is subjective feel or course because I don't have a means to measure heat output. But is anyone else noticing this?
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2022, 11:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Does aputure light run hot?

200w is a lot of heat to dissipate. Pretty much everything over 100w will have heat sinks or fans or both.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2022, 08:40 PM   #3
Trustee

In order to get a better hadle on what the temperature is doing, there are some fairly inexpensive infrared (IR) thermometers or temperature sensors available in the $20 > $30/40 range. They should be good enough to just do comparisons with.

For comparison purposes, accuracy isn’t necessarily needed. For accuracy they typcially need a correction factor that is a function of the surface. Even a cheap one is a very handy gadget to have available.

To approach this more scientifically, (with more effort), one might try using the cam as a light meter and the fact that light intensity varies as the inverse square of the distance. Move the two light sources back and fourth to get the same cam reading then measure the light source temperatures.

This would be good for one data-point.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Measuring the temperature of the light would favor lights with stronger fans.

I would put the light in a box with a glass lid for the light (energy) to escape but trap all the heat in the box. Pujt a fan in the box to make sure all the heat comes out of the light and is evenly distributed inside the box. Then measure the temperature rise over time inside the box.

The box can be calibrated with a hair dryer or space heater with known wattage.

I am hoping some youtube reviewers would do the job for me, haha.

Until this is done, no video light makers would pay attention to light efficiency.
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mono lights run hot even LEDs. So what's the issue?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management