Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Light meter and HDV

Hey,

What is a good F-stop to keep your lighting at? A pro grip I believd told me he keeps it at around 4. Is that correct? Any feedback appreciated.
Duke
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The iris/f-stop is one factor that determines the depth of field in the picture.

If you want a shallow depth of field (defocuses the background; it may look good, or not) then try to keep the iris open / keep the f-stop low.
Shallow DOF makes maintaining focus more difficult. For studio productions deep DOF may be nice... i.e. The Price is Right (game show)
Sometimes deep DOF is desireable... i.e. Citizen Kane, lets you see everything in the background.

In terms of image sharpness, the lens will be sharpest away from the extremes.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There really are no rules for this. Lens generally provide a "better" image when away from widest and narrowest aperture. It depends on the look and effect you're going for.

Last edited by Adam Keen; November 9th, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
Adam Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

It's a bit of a stretch for a grip to announce that he is maintaining a stop; the DP and the gaffer are the two folks responsible for metering (and the DP passing on the exposure to the camera department). The grips will assist in maintaining the stop via nets, bounces etc. as required by the DP.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management