DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 16th, 2002, 12:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks for the help guys..

Looks like I'll just have to save up some money and look for some used Lowel lights, or something. Maybe at least try some DIY lighting, who knows....

Moore
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #17
Trustee

Why not start with a Tota for $110
(at B&H click on emaikl me a better price)
A Bogen 3086 stand( 11 lbs load) $45
A totabrella white or silver $27 to $30
A 750 watt 3200K is $18,a 500 watt is $15

That's $200 plus shipping and you have something to build onto. You won't have cut any corners.(I have a smith victor in my closet that's collecting dust)
Invest in a 4X8' sheet of foamcore or plasticore and cut it up for reflectors ($10). As you can afford them buy a collapsable reflector (lastolight, photoflex, westcott, etc)

Later on buy a medium photoflex softbox is $180 and a speed ring for the Tota is around $75
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 12:12 PM   #18
Major Player

* * LIGHTING * *

Moore,

Sounds like you were/are in the same boat I am paddling about in.

Because of budget and location considerations I was unable to purchase a light kit of 3 lights, Arri, Lowell, or otherwise. I fabricated my lights, that I bought at K-Mart and Sears, (2- 300 Watt Halogens/1- 250/300/500 light, cages removed, added dimmers to the two smaller 250's). For the amount of time I spent and $$ spent, I found them very useful.

I am 90% done with my first short, and I am pleased by the lights. Yes, the light is a little yellow/orange, but very pleasing and maluable in post. It works for the story. I did this to keep the momentum moving because there was no dollars for the lighting. I used lighting that was available and outdoors for most of the production. The XL1S is good at handling the different conditions.

I am planning on purchasing better lights/ a lighting kit.

I think the obstacle of not having light the way you want it, or $$ to do makes you more creative. Overcome the obstacle, the result will probably surprise you.

Look forward to seeing your work!

Cheers!

Derrick
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management