Arri Flo Lampheads / Studio Cool 4 & similar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Arri Flo Lampheads / Studio Cool 4 & similar

Looking for advice from someone who regularly uses Flo lighting such as above.

My main use will be indoors and so the Cool 4 most likely will be too much @ 220 watt - which is about the same light as a 1K incandescent. So basically I need advice on the most useful/practical size for purchase

I would wish to avoid the Star Trek Voyager / Office kind of flo lighting since I prefer a much more dimensional look, so indoors I am likely to be throwing some halogen 150-300W into the mix for hairlights and such

So what are the most practical size and type of units I should be looking at?

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Can't say I've used Arri's fluorescent heads before, but Kino-Flos seem to be the preferred fluorescent brand (though I find them a bit too flimsy). The Kino 4' 4-bank lights are the most common, and at only 40w per tube, draws only 160w total. For more punch, there are the Wall-O-Lights with 10 tubes at 400w total-- still a safe wattage to plug into house power. Of course, there are other brands-- I've wanted to try the Mole Biax lights because they are WAY more rugged and "grip-proof" than Kinos.

I love using fluorescents when applicable because they run practically cold, they produce great soft light, and you can fit a lot of fixtures onto a single breaker. The downside, if you're on a tight budget, is the price. Because of this, I've taken to building my own fluorescent units and renting more if I need them.
Old November 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Yep the Parabeam 400's are very similar in that they use 4 x 55w tubes 2ft long, however Ive just learned that the 80w 2ft tubes are coming out which wont fit these units so I will hang on for a while

4ft tubes are a tad bulky for me.

John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi John, where are you looking in the UK for your flo lights, as I'm thinking about them for a couple of specific types of gigs but don't know which dealers?
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Gary

The flos that have most captured my attention are the Arri Studio Cool 4's (they no longer seem to market the Studio Cool 2's) and the Ianiro Ice 4's and Ice 2's.

The feature I especially like about the Ianiros is the four leaved mirrored intensifiers here
http://www.ianirouk.co.uk/ice4.asp

Both take the studio versions of Philips and Osram tubes so availability should not be a problem.

If your talking new then shop from this list
http://www.4rfv.co.uk/brieflisting.a...=36251&start=0

if your talking second user then obviously for Arri
http://www.arri-auction.com/
or even
http://mandy.com/1/class.cfm

John Jay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management