Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old March 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
no diffusion, 28 watt light is rated at 100 watt equiv (according to GE). These shots were actually using the phillips marathon line of bulbs, but they dim rather quickly when you move/bang them around alot. The GE's have a warranty too :). The first day we shot with halogen worklights and we had to take cool down breaks as the actors would get too hot in the little space we had...it was horrible. With the flourescents, I have a couple of scenes with the light being held up in a corner by my AD, barehanded...we were out of light stands.
Thank you for that. I had exactly the same problem with work lights on my last shoot, so I am very wary now. Nevertheless, I am eyeing the Rostronics/Britek kit, which supposedly has "cool" tungsten lights. Your fluorescents don't look bad, but it is hard to say anything definitive based on a compressed video. How many bulbs did it take to light the first scene?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #32
Trustee

3 bulbs right side-high (move closer and farther to adjust contrast), 1 left side-low for fill, 1 high right back for rim light

(shadow in frame due to overscan issues with the viewfinder in XL1s-grumble...I now use an external LCD for all framing)
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #33
Chimera Lighting

Hi Tracey.. what is the diff between good shoes, cloths ect

Not in any order of importance

Looking good. Professional. Great tools for the artist

Long lasting.. quality is an important issue

Company support. who is this company with cheap lights

Lights are your best investment. cameras change but investing in good lighting can be one of the most important decisions you can make

Accessories and light control. As you grow will your lights grow with you or become obsolite or limited in use.
Grids, www.liteshaper.com, www.chimeralighting.com
Dedo lights.. true lighting tools.
Arri. Mole.

Is this a long range plan or just something you want to try?
Avoid wasting money on cheap stuff.
sometimes cheap is the most expensive way to go.

chimera 8000 or 8005 can be a great begining.
Get a avenger a 475b convertable boom, a hairlight

peace out.. I hope I help.. good luck

r
Maybe this recent link will help. Whatever you get. as long as it works.. it ok. rv
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Winning
This is probably going to seem like a completely silly question......but ...what is the difference between a light for filmmaking that costs from $600 upwards.... compared to the lights you can buy at the hardware for $30?????

I've been using $30 150w Halogen lights for indoors with very nice results. They can be hung from anything at any level and I've used different almost sheer materials and colours on stands in front of the lights (furthur enough away to avoid them becoming hot).....and I have found these lights can then create very attractive different effects/moods and have been very happy with them....but...

Now..Im really curious to know...am I missing something here? What would the $600 and upwards lights give that Im not getting now? I want to know if Im missing out on something truly major by not forking out bigger dollars for a few lights???

Can anyone please shed some.......um.....light.......on this issue for me?

Tracey
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Opening the barn doors!

Well Richard.....

I have been using my cheap and nasty lights for quite a while now...and while they are a damn nusiance in many ways, they have also been getting the job done!! I think for most people starting out in filmmaking as a hobby, they are the way to go. I do think upgrading from cheap to decent/expensive should happen as your filmmaking skills and commitment increase.

I must confess however, that after the last 6 months of using Bunnings lights, I am now actually a bit 'OVER' improvising and fiddling around with my cheap lights. Thats the thing I've realised about lights made for things other than filmmaking(they do indeed require a lot more time and effort to get a good effect and so on).

So....... I finally purchased my first REAL light, the seedling of what I suspect will be a gradual building of a decent collection. It's definately a nice thing to have, and barn doors are kind of cute....

Tracey
Tracey Winning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management