Can anyone comment on the quality of Altman lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 14th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Can anyone comment on the quality of Altman lights?

Can't find a retailer local here that has them so I can lay my hands on them. I'm completely infatuated with the fact that their 650w fresnels can use 650, 500 and 300 watt bulbs. Seems to make them a particularly flexible light for DV work.

Any thoughts or experiences? Where do they stand in the Lowel/Arri continuum?

Thanks!

-Laudon

Last edited by Laudon Williams; February 14th, 2006 at 03:24 PM.
Laudon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I have 1 Altman Studio 2k, 2 Altman 2000Ls (2k), 1 Altman Studio 1k, 2 Altman 650Ls and 2 300Ls. They are every bit as good as the Arris and less expensive.
You will see no difference in the quality of the light. (Correct Walter?) :-)

Their service is excellent my order was short one set of barndoors and a couple of scrims. With no questions asked they shipped out the missing pieces and I had them the next day. (I am in a one-day delivery zone from NYC)

Bill
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

Altman has roots as a family-owned stage lighting company in Yonkers NY. Back in the early 1970's I had a job equipping up a new venue at the Jersey shore, and I went up to their factory to pick up a truck load of lighting equipment. They were very gracious and showed me around the plant, introducing me to family members along the way.

That probably doesn't address your question, but it made a good impression on me at the time. In theatrical circles they have long had the reputation of making low cost but serviceable fixtures. As I understand, they bought the designs and manufacturing rights from Century/Strand for their popular "Leko" ellipsoidal reflector spotlight sometime in the 1960's when Century upgraded to a new design. Altman sold a lot of these as a low cost alternative to Century's and Kliegl's new models (which is why I was at their factory in a truck ;-) That unit later became the 360Q Ellipsoidal with an axial mounted halogen lamp. You used to see these all over the place.

They weren't the best units in terms of ergonomics and quality, but they held up well and were a good value. You don't see so many Altman lights in theatres these days as ETC lighting has become a de-facto standard with their "Source Four" units.

Again, all this doesn't really address the questions about video lights and fresnels but perhaps it provides a little insight on the "quality of Altman lights."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
They are every bit as good as the Arris and less expensive. You will see no difference in the quality of the light.
Amen to that, brother. My first lights were LTM Peppers and I have been spoiled by their sturdiness and durability. Then I found that Altman make fine fixtures, that would stand up by comparison to any other in the marketplace.

If you like 'em - buy 'em.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I can add my experience, I'm from Italy, and some time ago asked Altamans' sales dept. if was possible to have a list of products, 4 days after the mail i got on my desk a HUGE book with all their products with a very well description and tech specs.
They didn't ask me anything and for sure the shipment cost at least 10$...

Not talking about tech stuff, but THAT's what I call a good and kind sales department.
Dario Corno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management