DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #1
Trustee

Looking into Dimmers - a question or two

I want to buy a 600W dimmer for the Britech lights from Rostronics. Now, is there something special I should look for? Do all dimmers do the same thing? Will this keep the light temperature?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #2
New Boot

Here's a little secret that will give you a 1500 watt dimmer for not much money and no labor:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43060

I have three of these and they work great. As with all dimmers, the color temperature will decrease, but not too much until you are at 50% or so.
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Ken
Does that router controller allow you to continously dim or just it have 3 settings? Also does make an audible hum? (I know some cheap dimmers do this).
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

FYI: It is continuous.
Old February 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Bill,

Chris is correct, there is continuous adjustment over the entire range.

Sometimes the filament in the lamp will vibrate a little (at certain settings), but this happens even with professional dimmers. As far as RF buzz picking up on the audio, I haven't had a problem.

Old February 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #6
New Boot

Hey Ken,

That is so cheap for a 1500 watt dimmer. Where is it made? How is the construction quality? Have you tested it extensively? Finally, have you had any problems whatsoever with it?

Regards,

Kris.
Kris Belchevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

On Sale---On Sale!

Just so you know, my national flyer from Harbor Freight has them listed right now as on sale for $12.99. That is just about half price, but the sale ends tomorrow.

Also, if they are sold out, ask for a rain check! If you want to call to reserve some or get a rain check call yhour local store, and their part number is 43060, at least that is the one pictured in the ad. They also have the number 43584 listed also, same type part, but maybe different color or something.

Mike
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Mike
There doesnt happen to be coupon associated with that ad in the flyer is there? I dont see anything on the website and just called the phone order number and they are also giving the 24.99 price over the phone.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball
Mike
There doesnt happen to be coupon associated with that ad in the flyer is there? I dont see anything on the website and just called the phone order number and they are also giving the 24.99 price over the phone.

I buy things there all of the time, and even though it is in their flyer, you do not need their coupon. Just go to the store and they have tons of flyers for you to take as you go through the store.

If you call the web site or a national number, I pretty sure they will not give you the sale price.

mike
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #10
New Boot

Hey Kris,

They are made in Taiwan. The construction quality is good. I wouldn't run over them with the grip truck, but they aren't flimsy at all. Have had mine for almost a year with absolutely no problems whatsoever. I use these dimmers for my 1k Arri as well as the 650's, 300's, and 150's. They are also very handy if you have a practical in the shot and you need to knock it down a little.

I haven't done "extensive testing" as far as measuring color temperatures at different settings, but I do use them all the time. I wouldn't go anywhere without them. At $24.99 they are a really good investment. At $12.99 they are a steal!

Old February 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I buy many many items at Harbor Freight, and the quality is pretty amazing for the prices. I have a rain check in right now for a 1' x 30' belt sander for $29.00.

I am going there tomorrow, so I will check on the dimmers.

Mike
Old February 26th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I bought 4

I bought four of these from Harbor Freight. One of them stopped working when I connected it to a 500 Watt work light. Just a flicker, then bye bye.

I agree with Mike that there is a lot of interesting equipment available at Harbor Freight that will be usable for applications in video work.
Old February 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I went to my local Harbor Freight yesterday and they were out of them. I did get a rain check---for 6!

If and when they come, in maybe I can send some to others!

Mike

Last edited by Mike Teutsch; February 28th, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Major Player

Hey Chris, how's their customer service?

How's your hand by the way? Sorry to hear about it bud. Heal fast.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I have a rain check in right now for a 1' x 30' belt sander for $29.00.
I don't have any experience with their motor speed control, but I've bought a few shop tools from Harbor Freight and can say without question they were cheap junk which was designed to look like professional tools. Specifically I remember a bench mounted belt/disk sander that failed very quickly and a vise made out of cheap cast metal that snapped right off when I tried to bend something in it.

Now this was about 6 years ago, so maybe their standards have improved. I'm glad you're happy with your purchases, these products may be the exception to the rule. But I've run several professional carpentry shops for building scenery over a period of many years and spent tens of thousands of dollars on tools. I stick to the well known brands and avoid places like this. Caveat Emptor....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management